free website stats program New guy from CA, need help on light issue | Harley Davidson Forums

New guy from CA, need help on light issue

rjgraves78

I bought my first bike this year and loving the feeling of riding. picked up a 98 sportster. I am having an issue with the head lamp going from bright to dim and sometimes out at road speed. Any ideas?

Welcome to the best forum out there. Congrats on the scoot.

You'll get a faster response on the headlight issue if you post in the Sportster section. Some great minds on here will have you fixed in a minute or two.

Good luck, ride hard, be safe.

:good
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa.

Amish Hawg is correct to get the best and most responses starting a thread in related area of forum is the best way to get answers to your questions....:s

Welcome to the forum. The first thing to check is the plug on the bulb. They have been known to deform (melt) from the heat. Just remove the screw at the bottom of the lens ring and the bulb will come out. The plug could also just be loose from vibration. Gently move a couple of the bulb contacts apart for better contact. Also check to see that no wire is loose in the plug. If that doesn't work, the problem is probably in the high/low handlebar switch. We'll get to that after finding out if the plug is the problem or not.

HD98XLH041.gif

Here is your head light assembly #35 is the plug that can cause the problem you are having, use some dilectric grease on the terminals
Welcome to The Forum

Back