free website stats program New Gas Tank | Harley Davidson Forums

New Gas Tank

90FXRS

Contributor
I'm looking to change the gas tank on my ladies Sportster. Have seen the standard pictures of the Paughco tank but I'm wondering if there is something better, more stylish or if someone has more than the standard picture online?

The reason is quite obvious as to why.......She's wanting to go as far as the rest of us without having to stop for gas so often.

If you can find an older Roadster gas tank it was the same as the super glide i want to say it was 4.2 gals
My bad 3.75 gallons

There are a few different designs of aftermarket tank for the sportsters custom chrome and zodiac do tanks that may fit
I put a custom chrome tank on the wifes's sportster when she first got it but it took a lot of work to get the tank ready i had to pressure test it line it and do a lot of bodywork to make it look the correct shape before painting it did come with a fitting kit so that it could be mounted
I later replaced that tank with another tank that was used and had a very good custom paint job it cost less and was ready to fit

Brian

I had a Mustang brand 4.5 gal. dual filler, no console tank on my Sportster. It looked real good. They have many styles, and cost about $130 new. Also the Sportster "King" tank extends mileage quite a bit.

What year Sportster?

Rubber mount FI Custom has the 4.5 gallon. It was one of the more common running models where owners part out due to wrecks or customization etc n

A lot of folks with the 48 and 72 look for used tanks on ebay with decent success.

JP Cycles has a king tank but gets a little spendy and you have to prep for fit and install. Including paint etc. Might be a little more work and money.

You can check out the web and see if anyone wants to swap their walnut (4.5) for your wife's peanut (3.3 or 2.1) there are a few that have the larger tank but prefer the look of the peanut.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. my bad for not stating the year.....1987 XLH 1100. Has the 2.25 gallon and looking to get something so she can go further on a tank.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. my bad for not stating the year.....1987 XLH 1100. Has the 2.25 gallon and looking to get something so she can go further on a tank.

Any tank for an evo sportster up to 2003 should fit your frame larger tanks often require a mount kit fuel tap will move to the left side on most aftermarket tanks so a longer fuel pipe may be required

Brian

Back