free website stats program New Gas Tank, what to do? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Gas Tank, what to do?

NYHarley

I have a new tank and tins that came with my bike. I am going to have them painted, and I have a question about the tank. Does the inside of the tank need to be treated with something before using it? The inside of the tank looks like bare metal, and I have heard people say something about it needing to be treated. I just don't know what to treat it with.

Most of the aftermarket parts dealers sell "tank prep and liner" kits. My experience has been that they are fairly easy to use if you follow the instructions. I recommend applying the liner before you paint the tanks.

I have a new tank and tins that came with my bike. I am going to have them painted, and I have a question about the tank. Does the inside of the tank need to be treated with something before using it? The inside of the tank looks like bare metal, and I have heard people say something about it needing to be treated. I just don't know what to treat it with.

If the folks you are having do the painting do not know the answer to this question, you might want to think about finding another bunch to do the job. Painting bike parts and especially the tank is different than painting cars (and surf boards!!).

TQ

If the folks you are having do the painting do not know the answer to this question, you might want to think about finding another bunch to do the job. Painting bike parts and especially the tank is different than painting cars (and surf boards!!).

TQ

The body shop is family owned, I trust them.

there are kits available for lining tanks as I'm in Scotland my sources will be different to yours
Ive done a couple of tanks and it isn't difficult just follow the instructions that come with the kit

Brian

Around here there's a radiator shop that can reline gas tanks. They get about $100 bucks for it. When you consider that the tank preparation and lining kits cost between $50 and $75 that's not too unreasonable.

Ask around and see if there's someone in your area that can do it. If you have any indys around they should know. Get it done before you paint that tank.

I guess my biggest concern is the large opening in the tank where the fuel pump goes... There is a big opening in the top of the tank..... I guess I can fab a piece of sheet metal to bolt on while I treat the tank.....

some duct tape should cover the hole
but if you feel you must fabricate a cover perspex or plastic are easier to and quicker to work with
all the tanks Ive done have been for carbed bikes i use an old gas cap for the hole in the top and old bit of inner tube and some wire for the other holes
but a bit of old inner tube could be made to fit the fuel pump hole
i always keep old inner tubes they are always a handy source of rubber

Brian

Back