free website stats program New Front Brakes are Tight | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Front Brakes are Tight

I'm gonna presume all pads are not created equal and some non-OEM might be just a bit too thick or don't exactly meet the specs. Besides, if it's something other than the pads, I'll have the extra pads for next time.

You may have answered your question in regards to problem. I have had that exact problem in the past. Changed to OE pads problem solved.

Bear with me because we gonna solve this problem.

Now thats a great attitude to have. Good for you..:small3d018:

If everything was good before the pads were replaced then it does point a finger at the pads being the problem
i personally prefer to use oem pads as they are a good match for the rest of the braking system

Brian

and topped-off the master cylinder with DOT 5.

Dot 5 on a 2000 bike. No kidding?
It almost sounds like the compensation port in the master cylinder is remaining covered after you release the brake lever. That would prevent hi pressure fluid from relaxing back into the reservoir.
Is the piston in the MC coming all the way back out after you release the lever?

I'm gonna change the pads to OEM and like I said, if that's not the problem the other set can be used next time. I'm beginning to seriously suspect the pads aren't right.

Not sure what brand the non-OEM pads are. Generic kevlar in white box from local bike shop. I think he orders/buys all parts from Midwest.

I don't know anything about the master cylinder other than the fluid level is right. Please direct me on how to check the compensation port and the piston coming all the way out and I'll get to it.

Brake fluid is DOT 5 as per the original owner's manual sitting here beside my computer. It's clean and have bled brakes twice since this ordeal started. No air in lines and lever is [methinks] tighter than it ought to be.

Harley don't make a bike we can't figure out. With all of your help I'm gonna convince the Low Rider who's the boss. And it's GONNA happen.

Try OEM pads, once again ALL pads are not created Equal, Flush that DOT 5 good, it likes to crystallize and cause sticking problems. Always crack a bleeder and push the old fluid out Never back into the master:s

Thanks Jack, I'll do that tomorrow when I install the OEM pads. More later.

LeeOtis you must got sidetracked with other duties (like I many times do) but when you do get them installed and tested let us know how it went.

Wow, the same thing happened to me new pads and drag, did an internet search and found this site and gliders shue string cleaning did the trick and I've been here ever since.
Great site and great tips.
Thanks,
Dave

The brake problem is now solved.

Last night I used each suggestion in this thread while making the repairs. In all, I'd say the biggest problem was one of the right side caliper pistons was trying to stick. After changing out the brake fluid and a good shoe string cleaning, I installed the OEM pads. Working the pads [a zillion times] open after pumping them closed finally loosened up whatever was sticky. It helped that I had a spare rotor on hand to put into the calipers while they were removed [from the forks] was a big help. Sort of an indication of how the pads were gonna fit when back on the bike and if they were releasing correctly.

The jury is still out on the aftermarket pads but I can't go wrong with the OEM pads now installed.

A big thanks to all contributors in this post. Your knowledge and experience directed me to make the repairs. And in doing so I gained a little bit of knowledge that will help me next time, or maybe help one of my fellow riders.

And as an added bonus: Just in time for the long weekend ahead.

Ride safe my friends,
LeeOtis

Back