free website stats program NEW from VA | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW from VA

Bill Oakes

Bought my first Harley!!!
1997 Heritage Softail with under 600 miles on it.
Know I have to do tires. Will need to do engine seals as they weep and probably rebuild carb.
Any other things I will probably have to do? Battery is new.
Have two other bikes, a sport touring bike and I guess they call them street fighters.

Oh, the air cleaner! It's bolted on with what size allen head bolt? I haven't picked it up yet and the engine isn't stuck.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, I think the air cleaner bolt is a 1/4" change your fluids and check your clutch to make sure the plates and discs are not stuck together from sitting.

I have two other bikes and ride year round in VA. I have a ZX14 Kawi and Ducati Diavel Carbon Black.12 hr plus rides are no problem. Riding over 40 years. I replaced the pipes on the Kawi because I don't like chrome.
So here is my 97 Heritage Soft tail first impression. I went 200 yards and ran out of gas. After backing up traffic I remembered the reserve tank!! Get to gas station and there are two gas caps fill both and can't get the left one back on. Then realize it tightens by turning it in the opposite direction. The windscreen is filthy and I have to constantly look over it. Why, because I'm a 50+ year old child and I couldn't wait to ride it. The mirrors are loose and need to be replaced with something a bit larger as watching the ground was of no help. Turn signals switches on each side are hard to get used to. I kept tuning the engine off on right turns and hitting the horn on left turns. The heal/toe shifter has me all confused. I may lose the heal portion.
I took the screen off this morning and my hand grabbed a cloth and I was polishing off the chrome!!! It was like I was on autopilot.
Did you guys gain weight when you bought your Harley!!! Hope you all have a sense of humor
Having fun and love the bike. Making plans to go to OH to visit a niece.

Back