free website stats program New Florida Laws!!!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Florida Laws!!!!!

Common sense laws. May God, they should lock you up for complaining about the new law. I agree with most, us Harley riders get a bad rap. I get these rice packs passing me, weaving in and out of traffice doing 20 to 30 over the limit.

These problems are not limited to non-harley riders (why do people have to use negative terms when describing them?)

I have seen plenty of harley riders doing some of the stupidest stuff.. Doing 70 + in a 35, weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds, lane splitting (illegal in florida), left turns from the right lane (cross 4 lanes of traffic). And my personal favorite, going twice the speed limit in the school zone just south of main street in Daytona. These are Harley riders doing this! They're all in a hurry to get to Main Street....

So it's not limited to non-harley riders. There are plenty of harley riders saying "Hey, watch this" before making these stupid moves...

I don't know what it is about March bike week, but it brings out every cabin fever, look at me I'm a Harley rider in Daytona for bike week and I haven't ridden in 6 months, alcohol fueled, get out of my way, idiot rider in the country. And just let me be clear. I'm talking about Harley riders. As for the bad rap Harley riders have... Just like any other biker community there are those that cause this "bad rap". With Harley riders it's more evident because of the "rebel with out a clue" attitude that goes with alot of them.

So don't put the blame on just the non harley riders. There's more than enough blame for all the riding communities to have a big bite of the this sandwich.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....How did THAT happen?? (missing my own EDIT) ???

I guess I don't even know I'm using bad language half the time, like the wife always says!

(Although she says since I became a member here, I've actually improved....guess it wears off to your everyday life when you have to watch the curse words! :) )

But if ANYTHING can make ya wanna curse out someone, it's these dopes and the way they ride their rice burners.

It's not just the rice burners I've seen guys on Harleys do a lot of stupid things.We had two pass us on Hwy 11 like we were standing still they almost ran into a truck doing it. Sure enough 10 mile down the road one was down and we had to stop splint his leg and use our touring blanket to try and keep him from going into shock.

I don't have a problem with Florida's attempt to put a stop to some reckless bikers. I've seen guys pulling wheelies going down I-10. Seemed dumber than (edited). But I have to admit, when I was the age of those guys I did some really stupid stuff. A year or so ago I witnessed a very lucky dude destroy his bike and get some major road rash pulling a wheelie on a state highway. You gotta admit those two incidents certainly could have involved more than just the riders. Putting others at risk requires controlling some behaviors.

I think the fine for improper display of the license plate is overboard. I've also noticed some crotch rockets with the plates tucked up so that they are basically unreadable. Common sense says your plate should be displayed so that it is readable. Seems to me a vertical tag (i.e., custom bikes) can be very readable and the law should be adjusted. I've heard rumors ABATE is lobbying to get some adjustment to the new laws.

Bottom line....I don't have a problem with most of the new laws. But I wish as much time and emphasis would be placed on making the driving public more aware of looking out for bikers and paying attention while driving.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic missiles have the plate tucked up so high they can only be read if the bike is on the back wheel...hence all the wheelies ;)

Absolutly no problem with the laws for wheelies or speeding.Big problem with the plate law however.$1000.00 for a first offense,3rd offense $5000.00, loss of liscence for 10 years and a felony rap?Ive been to Daytona bike week as well as Octoberfest 3 times each.I just spent a little time on a Florida general traffic law sight and I gotta say the law for properly attached plates is vague enough that a trooper could write you up for not having the proper screws in the attachment points.I guess if they needed a new cash cow for bike week they just got it.I was amazed at Americade this year to here of tickets being issued for improper placement of registration/inspection stickers.I guess plain view doesnt count if you put a chrome plate ring on that touches a sticker.

Had to add everytime Ive been to Florida I see dozens of cars driving around with temporary cardboard plates.I just find it comical they're going after the bikes in this way.

Last edited:
I believe the place for 100 mph + and wheel stands are on the track, that being said I also believe it will benefit the fla. state cash box more than the people they think are going to help. Thier not going to stop, I challenge any one over 50 to think back "honestly" when you where 18. I know of situtations where people have lost sons doing just what they think these laws are going to stop. You think that stopped thier buddys, that where riding with them ? Yah for a couple of weeks! the only thing they will be more careful bout is getting caught. My point is knowlege is learned and wisdom is earned, If your not liberal when your young you have no Heart, If your not more conservetive when your old you have no Brain

Back