free website stats program New Florida Laws!!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Florida Laws!!!!!

well we have already had this conversation......here we go again-ha ha ha
but all i have to say is its your life if you want to endager it its your decision right?
second if a plate is vertical instead of horizontal the idea for it is to be dispalyed correct. that would be like telling me is this a (l) "L" or a 1 or what when a bikes plate is so small and from a distance is lot harder to read then say cars/truck plate.If you remeber correctly a plate as one person said "displayed properly"; old pick up trucks fromt the 20's i believe up to the 50's used to dispay there tags horizontally.i also questioned the harshness of the laws for cage drivers are they as harsh. if your in a car doing 50 mph over the limit are the laws as harsh as they are for a biker because you can sure do a heck of alot more damage driving a auto vs. motorcycle

I think it's more for the sportbike guys that have there plates tucked under the rear fender close to the swing arm mount. I've seen bikes with the plate mount flat under the fender and the only way to see it, is if you look up under the fender.

Most of the guys that have their plates mounted this way are hooligans. The guys that are endangering their lives, and yours, by splitting lanes doing 100 mph. Doing endos at stoplights, it's real nice to see that in a mirror, bad enough in a car, even worse on a bike.. Riding with one wheel in the air while splitting lanes. Or weaving on and out of traffic at excessive speeds....

As for mounting a plate vertically as is done with many customs, oh well... You don't have to change 'em, just be prepared for the ticket. But more than likely a custom built bike, that's registered as a custom build bike, will be grandfathered. If you changed your plate from horizonital to vertical on your bike that has a manufacture's VIN (HD, Honda, MV Augusta or whatever), you will probably get a ticket.

You probably won't see local PD out "hassling" most riders. You probably won't see the Daytona PD stopping most people during Bike Week. But it is another way for them to stop you legally. Which will lead, I'm sure, to a check of ID, VIN, If you are legal to ride without a helmet per state requirements, a check to see if you have any wants or warrants, etc.....

Hey all

I just could not sit back and not reply to this thread and I'm sure to get a ton of flack about it. As a 40+ year resident of Florida the laws for the displaying of tags on trucks, cars, motorcycles, trailers (boat & RV ) and the way the Fl numbers need to be displayed on your boat have been that way for YEARS !!! Its sad to say that a few people have created this problem but for this tag fine to come about. I'm sure they were warned by law enforcement and most likely recieved a citation for it in the past but chose to ignore it, so this is the end result. About the 50 MPH above the speed limit fine, most of the highways here in Florida the speed limit is 70 mph, to be quite frank about it I dont want you doing 120mph down the highway endangering my family and my LIFE if I'm in a cage or on my bike! So far as the popping wheelies I see most of you dont live down here and especialy dont live here in South Florida it has become an epidemic here. I have seen the rice rocket bunch going south on I-95 in Miami in my cage. I was doing 70mph (speeding) and have had them blow by me on one wheel weaving in and out of traffic at speeds better than 100mph. They deserve what they get. Its about time Florida did something to make our streets safer to drive/ride on. My car, boat and bike insurance is outragious down here due to accidents, theft and people with no insurance. As motorists it is our responsibilty to know the laws of the states we travel in and abide by them. If you feel that you must ride on one wheel, due 120mph on my roads then please stay home!!! we bikers here in south florida have a bad enough rap we dont need you contributing to it.

Just got back from Ontario Canada, if I read the posted signs right, 35mph over posted speedlimt, 10,000$ fine, they take your vehicle and sell it, and jail time and suspended license. Sounds like our friends North of the border play real hard ball.

Hey all

I just could not sit back and not reply to this thread and I'm sure to get a ton of flack about it. As a 40+ year resident of Florida the laws for the displaying of tags on trucks, cars, motorcycles, trailers (boat & RV ) and the way the Fl numbers need to be displayed on your boat have been that way for YEARS !!! Its sad to say that a few people have created this problem but for this tag fine to come about. I'm sure they were warned by law enforcement and most likely recieved a citation for it in the past but chose to ignore it, so this is the end result. About the 50 MPH above the speed limit fine, most of the highways here in Florida the speed limit is 70 mph, to be quite frank about it I dont want you doing 120mph down the highway endangering my family and my LIFE if I'm in a cage or on my bike! So far as the popping wheelies I see most of you dont live down here and especialy dont live here in South Florida it has become an epidemic here. I have seen the rice rocket bunch going south on I-95 in Miami in my cage. I was doing 70mph (speeding) and have had them blow by me on one wheel weaving in and out of traffic at speeds better than 100mph. They deserve what they get. Its about time Florida did something to make our streets safer to drive/ride on. My car, boat and bike insurance is outragious down here due to accidents, theft and people with no insurance. As motorists it is our responsibilty to know the laws of the states we travel in and abide by them. If you feel that you must ride on one wheel, due 120mph on my roads then please stay home!!! we bikers here in south florida have a bad enough rap we dont need you contributing to it.

I agree if you want to speed take your bike to the track. There is a group here that due that very thing. Once a month they head up to some track and let it rip. But on the street that is just plain stupid. Way too many variables to be able to safety ride that way.

Just got back from Ontario Canada, if I read the posted signs right, 35mph over posted speedlimt, 10,000$ fine, they take your vehicle and sell it, and jail time and suspended license. Sounds like our friends North of the border play real hard ball.

You almost got it right the law is 30mph over the speed limit.

I agree with the wheelie and speed issues. I do not agree with the license tag issue. seems like every time they pass a law that makes common sense,they manage to tack on an issue that takes just a little bit more of the freedoms we enjoy. The license tag issue was probably thrown in just for good measure. probably sponsored by some politician who doesn't like bikers!:newsmile059:

Good job no one here has ever broken the speed limit.They want you all to buy a honda with the cruise control set to 25mph..they will be telling you what to wear next,a full spandex suit in dayglow orange...ooo suit you sir

Common sense laws. May God, they should lock you up for complaining about the new law. I agree with most, us Harley riders get a bad rap. I get these rice packs passing me, weaving in and out of traffice doing 20 to 30 over the limit. This is why is Michigan we have to take a riding test. A wheelie, like burning rubbing is aganist the law, I would think anywhere you can drive. It's called Reckless Driving. Here it's 4 points and around $250.00 bucks. If your endangering your life, it's against the law. This is why we pay $$$ for insuring our rides. Idiots likes this knock our premiums up big time. I too have acted stupid years ago, but if I got caught, I would have payed the price. These laws have always been in effect. Common sense is if your doing something to endanger your life and others, and you get caught, you should pay the fines and do the time. It's a privledge to drive my cage and ride my hog and obey the laws whatever they be. I'd guess any person over 55 (my age) that isn't into bikes, and has had a crotch rocket pass them doing 30 over the limit, will look at me and my Harley the same way. Not good. Darn bikers, think they own the road. I have no reason to show off and act stupid. I respect the power between my legs every time I ride her.
Safe riding to all.

Similar situation here.wheelies are illegal on the public roads,and some brite spark has suggested bikes be banned!!!!The problem with that is the offending peabrain is a high ranking police officer,and says its a solution to the carbon footprint and congestion and traffic casualties!!!!These run our country!!

Back