New fatboy on the road with questions ?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by neil2412, Mar 25, 2009.

1. neil2412

neil2412 Member

Hi all,

I'm new to riding, this is my first ever bike and have only rode the shop rental during my training .

Juz got a new 2009 FLSTF, changed the pipes to V&H BSS and screaming eagle airfilter as well as the SE chip.

I've got a few questions :

1. When ever i engage a gear, whilst holding the clutch down, I feel a thud and can hear a thud sound, is this normal ?

2. When i accelerate from a low RPM, i feel the back of the bike pulling to one side ( right ) , is this normal ?

3. I'm riding in jakarta (Indonesia), a country where we rarely get up to 4th gear, due to the massive traffic, hence the riding will be a max of 200 to 300 kilometers a month, should i stick to the standard manual services of 1800KM (1000 Miles ) as the 1st services, or do it earlier ? considering the bike to be idling at stops more often than moving.

Sorry for the very basic questions, but am new here, issue 2 scared the (EDIT) out of me as i though i was about to fall.

Rgds
    Neil

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  2. neil2412

neil2412 Member

My main concern are the oils, so if i do it at home,

1. what exactly do i need to change ?
    2. how simple is the process ? I don't have a full garage with fantastic tools :)

Rgds
    Neil

3. mc2

mc2 Active Member Contributor

It would be wise to install an oil cooler. I have only heard about the traffic in Jakarta, and that is as close as I care to get. When the pinging starts, shut it down.

4. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

AIR COOLED, if it's not moving it's NOT COOLING, pinging means it's hot, shut it off or get moving. Oil cooler and more fuel will help. Enjoy and ride safe:57: