free website stats program New exhaust, New vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

New exhaust, New vibration

chelmer

Hey all,

I just installed a set of V&H Pro Pipe Chrome 2-1 on my 06' FLHTCI the other night. Previously, I had a true-dual setup with some lesser known slip-ons. The first thing I noticed (other than the difference in sound of course) was that I'm now feeling much more of the motor vibration through the bike. Feet get numb on the floorboards...more noticeable on the right side of the bike.

I suspect that this is due having a single, rigid header pipe connecting both jugs then being attached to the bike with a solid bracket?

I'd like to know if this is typical? Has anybody else run across this?

I ran about 55 miles for the first leg of my trip, stopped for a couple cold ones and dinner, then headed back. It did seem to have calmed down a little for the ride back. Don't have any explanation as to why however.

I'm not familiar with the V&H pipes, but your whole exhaust system is isolated from the frame. The engine and exh. are supposed to vibrate as a unit.:p
Is it possible that a muffler bracket or a mount is touching the frame metal to metal?

Well sort of. The heat shield on the front header pipe slightly one of the rider floorboard mounts. I wouldn't expect that this little contact, from a heat shield (which has some give) would create the amt. of vibration I (and the wife) are feeling. The pipe kit comes with longer bolts and washers to shim the floorboard out away from the bike, but apparently not quite enough. I noticed on reviews that others have complained of this issue too.

Aside from the headers being attached to the exhaust ports, and the muffler attaching to the stock bracket underneath the saddlebag, there is a bracket that replaces the stock bracket on the lower side of the tranny. This bracket attaches to the tranny with the same bolt holes as the stock. Like you say, this is part of the moving engine/drivetrain separate from the frame.

Only had 2 heat cycles to this point. I made my run of 55 miles. Stopped long enough for a cooldown (both me and the bike), then headed the 55 miles back home. Once home, I did re-torque the bolts at the exhaust ports.

.. . . .... . .. The pipe kit comes with longer bolts and washers to shim the floorboard out away from the bike, but apparently not quite enough. I noticed on reviews that others have complained of this issue too. . . ......... . ...

I would try Ace or Fastenal for some longer bolts and washers of required grade. If that doesn't work contact V&H's.

So I took the advice of R_W_B and took a trip to the local Ace Hardware. Found some longer bolts and additional washers to shim the footboard out even more. Meanwhile, I had also contacted V&H.

Shimming the footboard out enough to eliminate the contact made a huge difference. I feel that the bike is where it should be. There's still a bit more, but I expect that adding the performance, and changing to a different style of exhaust can certainly change the way the motor runs and therefore the way it "feels".

Downfall right now is, I had to settle for SS bolts as the local store did not carry Grade 8 which is the grade that was supplied by Harley. Not a huge deal, I will order the proper grade and make the swap soon.

Glad your bike is running better and as long as you don't go standing too hard the SS will be ' ok ' but if I were you I would look online and find where the nearest Fastenal store is local. Then just go in and show them what you need in grade 8.

SS is pretty strong but I don't trust them where vibration and possible heavy elongated torque are both involved in a location like that. Fender brace bolts is one thing, floorboards is another. There is a leverage factor on the floorboards.

Glad your bike is running better and as long as you don't go standing too hard the SS will be ' ok ' but if I were you I would look online and find where the nearest Fastenal store is local. Then just go in and show them what you need in grade 8.

SS is pretty strong but I don't trust them where vibration and possible heavy elongated torque are both involved in a location like that. Fender brace bolts is one thing, floorboards is another. There is a leverage factor on the floorboards.

Does Fastenal sell by the bolt? I thought you had to buy at least a box, which is why I usually just go to my local Ace Hardware.

Does Fastenal sell by the bolt? I thought you had to buy at least a box, which is why I usually just go to my local Ace Hardware.

Yes they do sell by the bolt and prices are reasonable. If you check there should be one local. I have one I go to all the time about 18 miles away. To be sure you need to remove the bolt and take it in so they can match the threads and diameter.

Usually Ace has Grade 8 bolts in Zinc or other plating (none in SS). I'm surprised they didn't have it. I would complain to V&H's but bottom line you may have to get it right yourself.

Back