free website stats program New clutch noisy when clutch depressed-79 IronH | Harley Davidson Forums

New clutch noisy when clutch depressed-79 IronH

IronKen

A ways back I was having 1st gear problems and slipping clutch and decided to dig deeper about the trans issue and pulled the gears out and low and behold found a shifter finger sleeve in two pieces sitting in the bottom of the case. This is why it wouldn't go 1st and stay in gear. Now the new Barnett clutch is in and it makes lots of growling noises when i let the clutch out. The bearing for the clutch drum seems ok but when i assembled everything, the drum seems to be able to move a bit. Do you think this is my noise issue and the drum is rubbing on the case.? There was no noise before. This clutch design seems hokey and relies on one bearing for all its strength. I don't know how much play the drum should have when the drive chain is off...anybody know?

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks Hobbit,
I think Thae clutch drum is rubbing on a transmission bolt when i push the clutch in. having disturbed the bolts during the trans re and re, this bolt was already half worn (the head ) from rubbing before. i should have changed the center drum bearing while in there, but the bearing felt pretty good. So the worn bolt head is now slightly turned in a different spot and the non-worn part is touching the drum when the clutch is depressed. Now its obvious where and why the noise. The clutch is great... and adjustable too.
Thanks again..I wish i was more familiar with these old girls, but i'm quickly becoming well aquainted...:) I'll open it back up again and do the bearing...
Cheers,
IronKen

Back