Couple more pics.

Attachments

• Smoker14a.jpg
    Smoker14a.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
  • SMoker11a.jpg
    SMoker11a.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13
The Weber WSM model like Mongo has and that offset smoker like Bodeen showed, are the top of the line for home smokers and/or BBQ cookers. I've had a WSM on my wish list at Amazon for as long as I can remember. Just don't want to part with the $300 yet. And an offset box like Bodeen has those are even more expensive with the heavier metal. But they cook so nice. I've been to cookouts where I would just stand and watch the cookers like it was a sporting event. Those are one of my "I'll have someday" items.

But sometimes just simple things are a real treat. My wife cooks the best bowl of grits. She puts some garlic powder and grated parmesian in them. And then when I get them I dump a couple of tablespoons of Hot sauce on um. I like to take a piece of whole wheat toast and dip it down in my grits. Mmmmmm just hard to get it any better un that.

A lot of times we don't have weather conducive to BBQ so we will do a quicky kind of thing that fixes enough fiddles for us to eat off for a few days. I will put a picnic roast on the gas grill and brown all four sides. This starts the process of breaking down the fat marble and also helps the flavor a bit. Then I will stick it in the slow cooker along with a can of chicken broth, some cut up turnip roots, carrots, and tators putting the larger harder to cook sizes down low beside the meat.

I'll cook that about 6 hrs on high in the slow cooker. We keep it in the garage and it makes the garage smell real good while I'm out there doin stuff. I've done it both ways but the pics below show a deboned picnic. It comes wrapped in net. Don't grill it with that net on, cut it off. Trying to get it off after grilling is kinda a kin to pullun stitches. Anyhow it will usually be in two pieces, when you cut the net off.

The picnic is the lower part of the front shoulder on the hog, with the butt being the upper part. It has a slightly different (I think better) taste than the butt, but they are both excellent when cooked right.

The tupperware photo is what is left after one meal with just me and my wife. You can eat good without spending a lot even still today. You can pick up a picnic of this size now at Wally world for around $7 to $8. When it's done it pretty much just tears apart with little effort.

Attachments

• BrownTheMeat.JPG
    BrownTheMeat.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 13
  • Ingrediants.JPG
    Ingrediants.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 12
  • LeftAfterOneMeal.JPG
    LeftAfterOneMeal.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 12
You don't have to. Go to the: The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board and select the size that you want at the top of the page. If there is a used one (new but in a damaged box) you can save some $$$ You can also get a deal on CL or Ebay.
The Weber Kettle can give some great results as well, for less than half the price.

The Weber WSM model like Mongo has and that offset smoker like Bodeen showed, are the top of the line for home smokers and/or BBQ cookers. I've had a WSM on my wish list at Amazon for as long as I can remember. Just don't want to part with the $300 yet.

You don't have to. Go to the: The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board and select the size that you want at the top of the page. If there is a used one (new but in a damaged box) you can save some $$$ You can also get a deal on CL or Ebay.
The Weber Kettle can give some great results as well, for less than half the price.

Thanks, yes that is true. I already have the Weber Kettle for about 8 yrs now. I still use it for some things, but my $100 (when I bought it) Lowes grill works better for most things the way I use it. If I didn't have "other" things to buy, I would have already tried the WSM. But the last year of doing without it, I've started leaning towards building my own masonry offset pit, or buying a welder (which I want anyhow) to build a lighter version of Klose's smoker.

I will do all of this " if " I don't die first LOL. You just never know once you get past 60. I am perfectly blessed in what I have already, but will keep kicking for a bit more yet.

you guys are very lucky up here as far as the costs of grills. at home on Margarita i have a road trip that i hand carried down there which i purchased in Houston for just over $100 on sale. to buy the same grill down there is about $300. not too much fun carrying it on on airplane but i got it home :D:D
i also have a charcoal grill, which i had been watching for a while then when the exchange rate was right i grabbed it....last one on the island so i got lucky
and paid only $450 for it (last month)...now i would bet it is over $600. one day i hope to do as RWB is thinking and have an island built for an outside kitchen....

Performer® Charcoal Grill Grill from Weber Grills and Accessories

now i am getting hungry again....hmm might be time to BBQ some pork and warm up the beans..

I own a Weber kettle that I just pulled a London Broil off of. I grill exclusively on a Weber kettle. For the money it cant be beat. I also own a WSM, I keep it at my little shack in the woods. It also can not be beat for small feasts.

The Klose is the most versatile cooker that I have ever owned (I have cooked on more than one cooker). There is nothing that cant be cooked on it. Pot of stew, beans, chickens, pork (obviously), steaks over a wood fire, standing rib roast, Corn on the cob, cobbler, and on, and on.
3/8" steel cooking chamber and 1/4" fire box. Air tight! That is the key, I dont care what recipe you have. AIR TIGHT! It can be made of stucco, its all about air tight.

During the 2004 hurricanes a when nobody had power. This thing fed the neighborhood!

Back