free website stats program New cams but already been tuned | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New cams but already been tuned

nope goin with the same chain drive set up. The majority seem to think Harley finaliy got that part right.

Go ahead and measure the run out but I would guess you will be fine going with chain drive. If the runout number is high, I may follow up with some oil pressure readings just to make it "more acceptable" mentally. Of course we all want to see a super low number but unless it was greater than .007, I would not be tearing into the crankcase anytime soon. But that is just how I feel about it and can not back it up with any hard core facts as to what the limits should be.

I'm dying to see how these SE 255's work for you. I bet your going to be Very Happy with the performance vs cost.

Re: New cams R IN

So put the new cams in last night. And it turns out I am cursed to never know what my crank runout is. Once agian had the motor apart and my buddy helpin me put them in forgot to bring the dial indicater home from the shop. Guess i could have waited but I was ready to see how it ran with the new cams. So we tore into it and everything looked good he said once agian he didnt see the tale tale signs of crank assemble issues but we did find that my front tentsioner shoe has some nice size groves in it not as bad as windspirts but did have some wear so that worries me a bit. Back shoe looked brand new. So even if u got the new hydrulic tentsioners if u r gettin close to 30k u might want to pull that cam cover take the 2 bolt off that tensioner and take a look at it. I am gonna replace mine at my next service and run it anouther 10k and see how it wears.
Other then that we got started at around 7:30 and finished about 11 and that included a lot of beer drinking me askin 10,000 questions about the job at hand and other projects and other peeps bikes he workin on. Went the long but keeper route and lifted the tank and took the top end apart breather assembly rocker arms and slid out the push rods to be resused was real easy and went back together just as easy. Didnt make anything to hold up the lifter but had cover gaskets layin around so we pulled them out to. remove the crank and cam sproket pulled the cam suport plate. Pulled the old cam bearings slammed in some new ones new cams in the suport plate lined up timing marks plate went back in lifted rear end of bike lined up oil pump put the sprokets back on lined them up then chain and tensioner ,cover ,lifters, pushrods, put top end back together same way it came off and was done. All that said it helps to have a harley tech and all the tools right there.
Didnt make any changes to the tunner and so far it ruunin great plugs look perfect and the low end and mid range power is a night and day diffrance it like riding a new bike. Best $350 I have ever thrown at this bike.

Wow Great info. Thanks for the details. I did want to know how hard it was to remove/reuse the original push rods. So the rear shoe was excellent and front shoe had some wear. You never did say how many miles were on the bike or the crankcase oil you have been using.

So can I check the wear on my rear shoe without pulling the cams out?

Sounds like you had Fun!. That's the way it should be. :)

Wow, Thanks Glider. And this is how it applies to my 2009 Twin cam "96"..

Glider is there a way here on the forum where I can "save" great links or threads for future use. Something like my own "private bank" to store links with the ability to also title them with what I want them to be called. That would be very handy.

Wow Great info. Thanks for the details. I did want to know how hard it was to remove/reuse the original push rods. So the rear shoe was excellent and front shoe had some wear. You never did say how many miles were on the bike or the crankcase oil you have been using.

So can I check the wear on my rear shoe without pulling the cams out?

Sounds like you had Fun!. That's the way it should be. :)

Bike has 26k miles and I had been running Mobil 1 vtwin till the last time they did warranty work and they dumped in syn3. As for checking the rear shoe without removing the plate i dont see how but i dont know for sure I wasnt able to c how much wear i had on the front till i took it off the chain. and the wear not even across it it 2 groves wear the edge of the chain is.
the top end is real easy to take apart to reuse the push rods just have to losin the rockers a little at a time since they are under presure.

Glider is there a way here on the forum where I can "save" great links or threads for future use. Something like my own "private bank" to store links with the ability to also title them with what I want them to be called. That would be very handy.

Well, I'm not Glider but I know the answer to your question.

At the top of each thread you can click on "Thread Tools" and then click on "Subscribe To Thread." Anytime you want to refer to a thread you've subscribed to, you click on "Quick Links" at the very top of the page and then go down under Misc and click on subscribed links. You can also create different folders to keep your subscribed threads organized.

See - as long as it doesn't concern electrons, I actually know a thing or two!

Thanks Doc. Wish I knew that trick a long time ago cause it's a handy way to keep threads for future reference.

Thanks Doc. Wish I knew that trick a long time ago cause it's a handy way to keep threads for future reference.

Soon after joining here, I spent several hours and a huge mug of coffee clicking on just about everything I could find on this site. Amazing what's hiding in all the nooks and crannies! I've probably forgotten 90% of what I found!

Back