free website stats program New Cams and Push Rods Question from Hog from Oz | Harley Davidson Forums

New Cams and Push Rods Question from Hog from Oz

Bart03

Man this took some working out...what I am trying to do is find out if anyone has any info on the SE 254e cams...I have 2010 Fatboy 96 twincam. It has Se heavy breather, Vance & Hynes 3" slip ons and SE pro super tuner.

I have just brought these cams with perfect fit push rods, I wa hoping someone would have some feedback on anything else I may need to do b4 I get the cams fitted...I.E. valve springs....your input will be appreciated....

Cheers Bart03

Does anyone know what I need to do here withe question I asked earlier?
Your help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Bart03

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what I need to do here withe question I asked earlier?
Your help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Bart03

I hope Steve07 doesn't mind AS i copied a post from him....

STEVE07
Moderators
Ride: 2007FLHTC

My Mood:

Re: SE 254e or 255 cams
Here is the specs on the 254 and the 255 cams.
I went with the 254 because of the bit lower lift and shorter duration.
Coupling that with the 4* advance sprocket gives you better bottom end grunt and a longer power band than you can achieve with the 255 without doing other work to the bike.

F. SCREAMIN’EAGLEPROTWINCAM PERFORMANCE CAM KIT – SE-254E**
This cam provides great low end torque along with good midrange. A good “all-around” cam. Kit includes front and rear cams. Splined rear cam is included for excep- tional load handling capability. Gaskets and bearings not included. Dealer installation is recommended, and special tools are required for proper installation. Cam Installation Kit P/N 17045-99C (sold separately) includes all required gaskets, bearings and seals for proper installation. All EFI models require ECM calibration (priced separately). For race application only.
25503-10 $299.95
Fits ’06-later Dyna and ’07-later Softail and Touring models.
Lift @ Valve – Intake/Exhaust .535"/.536"
Duration @.053 Intake/Exhaust 224 ̊/234 ̊
Timing @.053 Lift - open/close Intake: 1 ̊ BTDC/43 ̊ ABDC
Timing @.053 Lift - open/close Exhaust: 50 ̊ BBDC/4 ̊ ATDC
TDCLift@Valve–Intake/Exhaust 0.094"/.102"

compared to the 255
25638-07
Lift @ Valve – Intake/Exhaust .550"/.550" also 556/556
Duration @.053 Intake/Exhaust 211 ̊/235 ̊
Timing @.053 Lift - open/close Intake: 6 ̊ BTDC/48 ̊ ABDC
Timing @.053 Lift - open/close Exhaust: 48 ̊ BBDC/7 ̊ ATDC
TDCLift@Valve–Intake/Exhaust 0.079"/.070" also 0.130"/.116"

Those cams are really made for 103's not 96's. With the 43* intake close and the lower compression of the 96, your bike will feel like a dog down low and then once you get up to around 4000 rpm it will take off like a rocket. Your stock cams will probably out perform them on the street under normal riding conditions.
As far as valve springs goes if you really want to use them the stock springs are fine. As far as other things that you will need is a cam service kit which will contain all the necessary gaskets, etc.

17045-99C HarleyDavidson
CAM SERVICE GASKET KIT.

You will also need to re-tune your ecm with the super tuner.

HTH,
Randall

Thank you for that information it is very helpful......should I make it a 103?? and if I do the same cams will fit whether 103 or 96?

thanks,

Bart03

Hey Bubbie thanks for your help man...I do appreciate it.

Cheers Bart03

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bubbie thanks for your help man...I do appreciate it.

Cheers Bart03
Bart03,

Thanks for the kind words..

R.Bingham Know the cams and motors and does give it like it iS..

See IF you can decipher My thinking below:

That cam, 254e being later on the intake close (bigger *number), would do better in a 103 motor using more compression....
When You close an intake valve Later the engine Looses compression because of the valve timing..
Keeping intake open Longer,, AS the motor spins Faster,, IT does make up for it BUT not at the lower RPM range (like Randall said)..
SO a cam that closes early(smaller number) on the intake valve HAS More Compression = More low end power,,, BUT also Usually has it Early-on, Lower RPM Band and Not at the higher RPM range like the 254e does.

IF you want compression on a Later closing intake cam, you need a Bigger bore with Higher compression pistons to make up for the LOSS..

CAMs are a Give and Take..... when selecting cams for a High compression motor then You CAN give compression away when using a BIG cam..
(late closing intake)

I like the SE 255's in my 96" bike,,, Intake closing at 25* and the stock cam at 30* .... 25* allowing higher compression(power) and I would not go for the 254e UNLESS LIGHTER BIKE, Like yours AND Only using a +- degree timing crank cam gear, changing the intake to close earlier by 4*, making it 39* instead of 43*..
You might think to use such a gear..-4* one way and flip over, +4* the other..

Now this, (39*closing intake) would Help the 96" to have a little More Low end power than the 43* when using the degree gear+- about 60$ for the gear.

Steve07 does use a 4* crank-cam gear to allow earlier intake close for More compression on his big bike.. saying he can pull the front wheel off the ground by just cracking the throttle...:D

Maybe He will chime in here and correct what May be Incorrect..??

signed....BUBBIE

That is great....thanks for the input.....I am starting to get a better handle on it now.

I will get the degree timing crank gear and do the -4* adjustment, same as Steve07.

Just want to make sure I can get the best out of this bike and do it right the first time.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers, Bart03

I am so glad I came across this forum....the help I have been given so far is fantastic!!:)

SE 255 closes 25* ABDC:bigsmiley23:

Thinking 48* ABDC is not correct.:small3d002:

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• SE 255.jpg
    SE 255.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
Bubbie, I see you verbally corrected the typo error in your later post.

compared to the 255
25638-07
Lift @ Valve – Intake/Exhaust .550"/.550" also 556/556
Duration @.053 Intake/Exhaust 211 ̊/235 ̊
Timing @.053 Lift - open/close Intake: 6 ̊ BTDC/48 ̊ ABDCTiming @.053 Lift - open/close Exhaust: 48 ̊ BBDC/7 ̊ ATDC
TDCLift@Valve–Intake/Exhaust 0.079"/.070" also 0.130"/.116"

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back