free website stats program New camper | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New camper

I have always been a camper. Sold my motorhome 5 yrs. ago and bought a 38ft. fifth wheel. Towed it around the first year and hauled it to Florida once. I was missing my boat when we went camping. I couldn't take it with us like I did with the motorhome. The boat is 26 ft long and we would be over legal length. Not wanting to give up either toy I rented a lot on Lake Erie where the boat is moored now I have a cottage on wheels should I desire to hit the road again.

Mavagrand here is the link to the owner's site at Salt Springs. Far cheaper to rent from an owner then the resort.

Salt Springs Resort - Lots for Rent

Bought a 2015 Keystone Laredo 299BH. It is 32ft long and weighs 6800lbs. I'm towing it with my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Tows great. Only down side, it isn't a toy hauler so have to leave the scoot at home. What do you guys think? Any campers out there?

If there is enough clearance from the tailgate to the trailer you can do what I did. I bought a 3 piece ramp from Black Widow and load the bike in the bed of the truck. The ramp I got has a nice curve and is wide enough when put together that you can put your feet down while loading. Happy camping.

Do you not have to consider load capacity of truck combining tongue weight and what ever is in the bed?????

I'm sure the total tongue weight and bike would have to be calculated and Stiffer springs and shocks might be needed. With one of the "load leveling" hitches would lessen the tongue weight.

Do you not have to consider load capacity of truck combining tongue weight and what ever is in the bed?????

correct. I would love to take the bike with me, but would be WAY over the capacity of my truck. have to get either a lighter camper OR a larger truck.

I'm sure the total tongue weight and bike would have to be calculated and Stiffer springs and shocks might be needed. With one of the "load leveling" hitches would lessen the tongue weight.

Already using a weight distributing hitch, as the tongue weight on my camper is 830pounds (load capacity of truck is 1550). there's no real way of increasing the load capacity of my truck, it is what it is. If it gets to the point I just gotta have my bike with me, I'll get a bigger truck OR a smaller, lighter camper.

I too have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. Great truck, but as you have said it has it's limits. If I could justify it I would have a Dodge duelie with the big diesel. My son in law has one and it's a beast.

I too have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. Great truck, but as you have said it has it's limits. If I could justify it I would have a Dodge duelie with the big diesel. My son in law has one and it's a beast.

Not sure about the 2012, but from 2013 on Ram has went with coil springs in the back for a smoother ride, limiting the cargo capacity.

Not sure about the 2012, but from 2013 on Ram has went with coil springs in the back for a smoother ride, limiting the cargo capacity.

Moog Front & Rear Coil Springs

Moog offers two types of coil springs: constant-rate springs that restore handling to its original state, and cargo-coil, variable-rate springs as an upgrade for vehicles that carry heavy loads.

Moog constant-rate springs are built to replace original equipment springs, returning ride height and body sway to original performance levels. Replacing worn coil springs with Moog constant-rate springs restores vehicle handling.

Moog cargo-coil, variable-rate springs change resistance as they compress and become progressively stiffer as the load increases. These springs are vinyl-coated for corrosion resistance and extended service life.

Moog provides several features and benefits on both Moog constant-rate springs and Moog cargo-coil, variable-rate /makemodelsearch.cfm?Id=32springs.

On both, Moog heat-treats the alloy steel to ensure the coils rebound fully and resist sagging. Moog also provide constant-rate springs with an enamel coating that resists corrosion and extends service life.

While many coil springs are equipped with protective tubes to insulate the clash of metal on metal, Moog uses a premium urethane tube that will outlast our competitors’ PVC tubes on both our constant-rate and variable-rate coil springs.
Have a look here Mark, We had good luck with these springs for towing packages:s

Very nice.And a cool pick up too.Those Cummings diesels are nice too,but a pricey option,if I remember correctly.They had there own warranty for 100k,I was told thats cause they'll go over 200k no problem.

Back