free website stats program New Cam Chain Tensioner Option?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Cam Chain Tensioner Option??

SE Lifters are $250 for 4 That is $62.50/each can there be twice as much quality and performance in their lifters? Maybe it is a country of Manufacture thing.

Being an information junkie, I started digging into the use of Chevy lifters and got mostly positive impressions from those that have used them. There appears to be 3 US manufacturers of lifters with some of the big name high priced brands we all hear about using them to make their lifters for them, and branding them as such. It's known as private labeling and it's a common practice with alot of the things we use on a daily basis.

Johnson from what I've read was sold to Topline. Johnson has had a good reputation in the past of making quality lifters for Evo's, Twin Cams as well as the automotive industry.

Stanadyne is another US manufacturer that private labels for Federal Mogul and others.

The Delphi name came up in other readings but I'm not sure if they are a manufacturer or a private labeled brand.

Sorry for the long post but in the end my opinion is be careful of what you buy and where it supposedly came from and is manufactured. If you want a guaranteed US made product buy directly from a reputable source.

The last thing to watch for even if you do find a quality set of Chevy lifters is the chamfered edge near the roller. It's said there could be a clearance problem with higher lift or aggressive ramp cams without this chamfer. Mild bolt in cams like the Andrews 21 & 26, SE 203's, S&S 510 etc shouldn't pose a problem.

Take my info with a grain of salt since it's only what I've read and not from my own experience. May just save someone from digging up what I found. Besides.... isn't there a commercial that says you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true:D

If I need to change them on my bike, I'll consider giving Chevy lifters a try and hopefully save my money for another goody instead of just throwing $200+ at some big name brand only to find out they're made on the same production line. Could you imagine a set of V8 lifters setting you back $1000 or more the way some manufacturers market a similar product for our bikes and culture?? Yet you can buy a quality set for an SBC for under $200 and tach them to 8k repeatedly and they hold up. Just my 2 Lincolns.............

From what I have found, Comp Cams uses different manufactures & Delphi is one of them & if you are going to get those you can call Comp Cams and make sure they are Delphi's that you want. Not sure if you could do it with any of the Ebay stores. Those # are 850-1 V Thunders & hi rev 875-1. The lifters that you would want are for any of the 5.7's with a roller cam (90's Corvette & Camaro, I am sure there are more but those would come to mind). As for me using them, not yet but am getting ready to order them.

Toby

Back