free website stats program New Cam Chain Tensioner Option?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Cam Chain Tensioner Option??

Got the inner tensioner on & went to line up the cams & noticed a bad spot on one of the cams. Tensioners might be obsolete, I am thinking of going gear drive now.

Will check run out & see.

Toby

Got the inner tensioner on & went to line up the cams & noticed a bad spot on one of the cams. Tensioners might be obsolete, I am thinking of going gear drive now.

Will check run out & see.

Toby

Are the cams stock? I thought I had heard mention of possible issues with some oem cams not being hardened and/or ground properly. In any case, looks like you'll be needing new cams anyway. You're already in there so some new bumpsticks for more power would be my choice. I love spending other folks "virtual" money :)
WAP.gif

I dont know if they are stock, Ibought it with mid 40K, but it does have a 95 CI upgrade. I am contemplating the Andrews 31G gear dive set up, just got to check crank run out & get my drive belt on (I have the primary a part to change the front pulley 100K took its toll). Looked at the rollers on the lifters & they look brand new, so I am up in the air about replacing them as well. I know I should but money is a factor.

Toby

I'll be the first to admit that I've re-used lifters that were in good condition. The inner plunger and spring assemblies are one of the areas I feel are the most durable.....as long as there's no slop in the roller, I wouldn't hesitate but that's just my opinion. Others may disagree but I look at it this way....they came out running quiet, I re-used them and they were still quiet. I put brand new lifters in with the top end kit I did on my Softail last year, only to have a bad one right out of the box. They were the newer B style made in the good Ol USA by Johnson. Clattered like a sewing machine with a railroad spike for a needle..........put my used ones back in with probably 20k on them and it was quiet as a church mouse and still is 5k later.......go figure:D

I think if it were a flat tappet cam it would be a must, but with a roller not so much. I will get out my magnifying lens & look closer.

Toby

Going with lifters on mine, took a closer look & found scarring on the wheel. I might go with Chevy lifters. Got a Andrews 37G gear drive coming so hopefully it won't be too long before I get it back together.

Toby

Ok I'm going to do this. As part of the preplanning I am going to figure in new cams & lifters with the Hydraulic tensioners or maybe gears if I can get a good number off the crank shaft. One thing I hadn't considered was having to go to HD and have them upgrade my ECM....If I understand this correctly I have to budget this in too. They won't like my Gen 3 tuner.

Wannaride,
Gota ask, have you used Chevy lifters in a Twin Cam? If so, from what size Chevy engine? Thanks!

Crane's part number for Small Block Chevy's is 10530-2. Redfish-Joe is running them and he says he hasn't had a problem. A Google search for that part number led me to Summitt Racing where they have them for $26.20/pr. If they work well like he mentions, you can't beat the under $50 price for the four of them.

His post is here.

Need HELP choosing new lifters pushrods - Harley Davidson Community

Crane's part number for Small Block Chevy's is 10530-2. Redfish-Joe is running them and he says he hasn't had a problem. A Google search for that part number led me to Summitt Racing where they have them for $26.20/pr. If they work well like he mentions, you can't beat the under $50 price for the four of them.

His post is here.

Need HELP choosing new lifters pushrods - Harley Davidson Community
SE Lifters are $250 for 4 That is $62.50/each can there be twice as much quality and performance in their lifters? Maybe it is a country of Manufacture thing.

Back