free website stats program new bike | Harley Davidson Forums

new bike

jeff2110

I baught a shovel head from a police impound yard,it sat in the weather for 5 years.I don't know what it is,It has been modified with an extended front end,
no identifying numbers other than what hte police put on it.They said its a 1977,the trans has water in it and is frozen up.How do i dismantle the trans
for new bearings and inspection? I don't know if its a 4 or 5 speed trans.
Thank for any help

Welcome from So. Texas. Dismantling the 4 speed is a bit tricky compared to the 5 & 6 speeds. You have to remove all the primary and remove the tranny from the frame. It should be a 4 speed for that year, if so should also have a kicker on it.
tourbox

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Welcome from Woodstock, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta!

:cheers

Be sure to take a few minutes to review the forum rules in the link below and your stay here will be long and pleasant!

Harley Davidson Forums

Thanks for the warm welcome.
The trans is a 4 speed with a kicker,It was flooded with water however it dosen't seem to be damaged other than i can't get to shift just yet.
Thr motor doesn't seem to have taken on any water, it has an S&S carb and turns over,points are rusty but alittle help from you guys and i'l have it running by ????? Jan-Feb.
I don't know if it is a FL,XL,FLH,I don't even know what those letters stand for.

Welcome to The Forum, If you check the VIN on the crank case you can identify what model the engine was in original form

Back