free website stats program New Bike Question | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike Question

BuffaloBill

Good Morning Gang

Yesterday going home from work I had to get out of the way of a motorist and accelerated very quickly from 1st 2nd and 3rd gear The engine felt as if it had a governor on it Is there a mechanism on the bike to protect it from over exceeding the RPM range?

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

The rev limit on most harleys with a stock download is 5800 RPM's. If you have a stage 1 upgrade it will be 6200 RPM's.

Yes, there is a rev limiter on these bikes. They are set at 5500 RPM at the factory. If you ever have a Stage 1 download done, the rev limit is raised to 6200 RPM. Also, some of the aftermarket fuel controllers will allow you to raise the RPM limit.

Wow, you REALLY had to get away if you hit the rev limiter in the first three gears! Glad it turned out OK. Care to educate us with some details?

Only occassionally do I hit the rev-limiter in first or second. Haven't hit it in third yet--Been to 85 in third and either ran out of rd (country rds), or traffic (highways). First is between 42-45 mph, forget where second kicks in. Tracy

Wow, you REALLY had to get away if you hit the rev limiter in the first three gears! Glad it turned out OK. Care to educate us with some details?

Was at a stop light making a right turn into traffic halfway into the turn a car in the left lane changed lanes into my lane and had to hit the throttle I have to admit I could have waited a few more seconds to let "ALL" the traffic clear before turning on to traffic

BuffaloBILL

Was at a stop light making a right turn into traffic halfway into the turn a car in the left lane changed lanes into my lane and had to hit the throttle I have to admit I could have waited a few more seconds to let "ALL" the traffic clear before turning on to traffic

BuffaloBILL

Sounds like great situational awareness and quick thinking to me.....nicely done!

Back