free website stats program New bike probally another mechanical failure. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike probally another mechanical failure.

Ok, so took the bike in and the guy who came out and looked at, said the left side was getting the specks from where they greased the forks and it was excess grease flinging back on the bike (this grease was hidden and couldn't be seen when I stand and look at the bike), but he couldnt explain where the oil on the right side of the bike was coming from but didnt think anything was wrong. I still had them take the bike to try to find the source of the oil specks since it wasnt doing this when i turned it in for service. Picked up the bike yesterday was informed too much grease was the reason for the left side and that they put dye in the oil and couldnt find any leaks but there was a lot of residual oil from the oil change that should've been cleaned better before they gave it back to me after the service. They didnt charge me anything. So after riding yesterday the globs of oil landing on my exhaust r gone and I still have a little fling back on the left side of the bike so gonna clean the bike up real good my next off day. Also there is still oil specks on the oil tank under the oil filler cap, I think the presssure is forcing the oil out so I will drain a small amount of oil out as the oil looks a little overfilled on the dipstick. But no oil coming out the airfilter or specks around the airfilter. So I'm learning as this is my first HD, I just didnt expect to have all these oil/grease specks on my bike after its first servicing. But the bike rides great and my smile is back on my face, :yahoo

When I first did the oil change on my Sporty, I put in 28 oz (not the full 32 oz) and the oil level was between the low and middle of the dip stick. No problems...second time I change oil, I put 28 ozs but did not change the oil filter, level read just under full mark. When I parked bike on a slight incline in downtown Ventura and came back after an hour or so, a small puddle of oil was under the bike. I know now that half way up the dipstick is the proper level...don't want to worry about what is too high or too low, just what is RIGHT ON. Just my way. I always put a few ozs less and find out what is the "optimum" for the vehicles in my stable...just my way.

Aerodawg, as frustrating as this has been, like other forum members have said, sometimes things just happen. And as was pointed out, there are a lot of metrics that are back in the shop. A few years back, I bought another Hyundai. For the first month, it was back to the dealership five times, to the point where the dealer gave me a brand new loaner to ride around in. Took them a while to get it squared away, but after that, I put 75,000 trouble free miles on that car before trading it in on a new Hyundai. I have nothing but good things to say about the brand, but that one car was a headache for the first month. I've riden my share of metrics and British bikes, but my Ultra is by far my favorite. Hang in there.....

Denerada, they said nothing was wrong, no leak was found. For the oily spots on the left side that covered the horn cover, and the other left side parts once the excess grease was removed the flecks have stopped, this grease is really thin, so thin that I thought it was oil.
What I think happened is when I brought the bike home after the oil change it was covered in oily specks, I wiped the bike down and took it for a small test ride and no more specks but after I rode it to work the specks were back. I think the short test ride was too short, I'm assuming when I would ride to work the grease would fling back to the frame and I think the engine heat & the hot weather we were having helped melt the grease to where it was extremely thin and this caused the flecks on the left side, plus the oily residue running down the front frame and the horn cover (but not enough to cause a drip). I even parked my bike on paper towels and had no drips so this would make sense, As for the right side I think the oil filler cap is defective or its slightly overfilled and the pressure is forcing small specks of oil out and onto the oil tank. I put my thermometer cap back on it tonight so I will know soon enough if thats the cause. (note: I had switched to a thermometer oil cap but for the servicing I switched back to the original cap so maybe this is part of the cause as well) the good news is no more big oil splooges flinging back on the bike and the exhaust. They said there was a lot of residual oil from the oil change under the oil filter and since they cleaned it up these large splooges have stopped. The grease is under a lip and the excees oil was under a lip, so i learned a big lesson, get down low and clean it really good in every little spot. I really wish you the best of luck as this had been extremely frustrating for me. I missed 2 weeks of riding, but at least Im learning more about my bike.
I really love this bike and can't picture myself ever going back to a metric, my wife has the metric in our household now, she loves it and we get some good quality rides together. But now when I ride hers to gas it up etc.., I think to myself y didnt I buy a HD sooner, I love my HD and hope to be motoring on it for many years to come. :D

Aerodawg,

If you stick around and read a lot of the post AND "self help" area, YOU will probably do a lot of things different on YOUR bike and Not rely on HD to take care of it.. $$$$ saved by doing the oil changes and small maintenance your self is very possible... The harley shops Should do better than the oil/grease problem and I ALSO would check to see Which Oil the used in your bike....

At the Least:: 20/50 syn3 is NOT the best oil to use , even thou HD say it is and SELLS it...

Your bike has 3 different places to put oil into...

Engine
Primary (chain, clutch area)
tranny

If they put syn3 in all 3 holes, it is Not a Good thing.

Read about OIL here on the site..

Most of the rider/members use a Better product in the bikes..

I would suggest to see what OILs they used your bike and deviate by using Better lubes and learning how to do it your self... (no the warranty will not be affected by you doing the changes properly yourself!) ...

20/50 synthetics Other than syn3 (a sin) would be better...

HD's formal + is a good product , they Should use it in the Primary on your bike...

as far as the transmission is concerned,, READ on this site to form your own opinion.... suggested is Redline shockproof or Spectro ...

just my thoughts..

signed....BUBBIE

Danerada, I have a 98 Fatboy, if I get the oil much above the add line in the tank and its going to come out the air cleaner all over the place. I put sifton type breathers on mine and problem solved. If you want, use a filter and route down to the bottom of the frame and you won't have the issue anymore.

Heres an update, I replaced the original oil filler cap back to the thermometer cap and all the oil splashes on my right side of the bike have stopped. But the grease isssue is another thing. I have wiped off the excess grease coming out from underneath the handlebar connection numerous times and it keeps on coming out and the grease is aquablue. I have a wet streak running from the top of the bolt that holds the handle bars and it runs back then down the length of the front left frame down to near where the shifter is, plus the grease is also coming out of some grooves at the bottom of the same bolt connection in little thick globs. When I took the bike back to the dealer when this all started they said they pump them full during the servicing and I guess he wasnt joking. Its still flinging back to the horn cover and stator cover, I guess the heat may be causing this as it never did it before. Such a pretty bike to have these big oily spots on it. But at least it rides great and Ive been putting the miles on it for the last 2 weeks. Thanks for all the replies.:D
----------------------------------------------
Heres an update and I have another question. I still have an oily drip on my horn cover, mechanic said its excess grease and said not to worry, I have cleaned the excess grease numerous times but the drips keep coming back each time I ride. I will be buying a service manual soon, but is there anything (oil line, grease fitting etc.) that runs under the bottom of the gas tank that could leak oil or grease from under the tank? I have a nice looking bike and it frustrates me to have these oily stains running down my horn cover from top to bottom (not side to side as if being blown back from the wind), but the stator cover next to the horn cover gets oily specks on it as well. The mechanic showed me where the excess grease is coming out from under the handlebar and this grease is aquablue and I clean it off and it still comes out the bottom of the grooves where the bolt is, so after each ride I wipe it away. I also have a wet oily streak that runs from the top of the same bolt back to the frame and then down the left side frame close to the shifter, But nothing leaking on the floor just these big wet oily streaks.
The oil spots on the right side of the bike I got stopped by replacing the oil filler cap and now the right side of the bike is clean. The mechanic said they fill up the grease till its overflowing, I guess he wasnt kidding. Been putting a lot of miles on the bike just want it back to the way it was before the servicing. My assumption is that the heat here in georgia is making the grease thinner and may be causing the leaks. Need help please! dont want to take it back to the dealership again. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Az. Believe me I'm not braggin, but it's alot hotter here, and I've never had that problem on my Street Glide. Something just isn't addin up?:52:

I have wiped off the excess grease coming out from underneath the handlebar connection numerous times and it keeps on coming out and the grease is aquablue. I have a wet streak running from the top of the bolt that holds the handle bars and it runs back then down the length of the front left frame down to near where the shifter is, plus the grease is also coming out of some grooves at the bottom of the same bolt connection in little thick globs. When I took the bike back to the dealer when this all started they said they pump them full during the servicing and I guess he wasnt joking. Its still flinging back to the horn cover and stator cover, I guess the heat may be causing this as it never did it before.

I had the same issue after the 1K service. At first, was not sure where it was coming from. They do pump it full. I wiped off a couple of times, and I no longer see it.

Back