free website stats program New Bike, Neglected Bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Bike, Neglected Bike?

toddincharlotte

I just recently picked up a 2008 XL1200C locally. Bike is in really good condition cosmetically but I noticed it misses at 1/4 throttle and less. It only has 6k miles logged on the odo so I'm thinking I may have some bad gas, maybe even a bad tank.

Looking for suggestions on what kind of special maintenance I can do to try and fix this. Also, any suggestions on how to understand whether or not my gas tank is rusted is appreciated.

Was going to just start with fuel treatment but I worried if there is rust or debris in the tank I could damage the fuel pump or FI.

Not familiar with Sporty's but some Seafoam cant hurt to start with. With the tank empty or nearly empty you should be able to shine a light down in it and get an idea of its condition.

How long has it been sitting with the gas in the tank? As Bodeen suggested, inspect it best you can and if you think it's dirty inside remove and clean. A healthy dose of sea foam with clean gas will go a long way in cleaning things out.

If you can get the fl
HD05XL008.gif
oat bowl off the carb and clean it out that will help also

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will do some seafoam and a little gas swirled around and dumped. Does anyone know if there is a fuel filter inline before the FI?

Jack,
From 2007 on the sporties got fueil injection.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will do some seafoam and a little gas swirled around and dumped. Does anyone know if there is a fuel filter inline before the FI?

Jack,
From 2007 on the sporties got fueil injection.

My bad, I saw the avatar and did not read you were talking about an 08

What I observed this afternoon was that it runs fine until warm and then misses once fully warmed up. It's not a really bad miss but I can tell the bike us not running at full power when warm.

Not sure about Sporty's. Do they have a temp sensor in the head that makes it do parade mode or some such event?

I also picked up a 2008 Sporty in Jan of this year. It did the same thing. But I found out in this site that since it has a stage 1 intake and free flow exhaust I needed a fueler. It fixed it. I went through plugs, plug wires, IAC, New K&N Filter and some stress! A Cobra Fueler made the difference. Yours with the low miles must still be stock exhaust and air. if so, it will be something simple, finding it is the problem. Good luck my friend.

Back