free website stats program New bike dead already... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New bike dead already...

The dealer wants me to bring the whole bike to them, I’m don’t want to have to tow it already though…is this just a bad tender? Or should I have them change out the battery?

IF THE CHARGE DOESN"T WORK like i just posted ......

THEY SHOULD COME WITH THEIR TRAILER AND PICK UP THE BIKE AT NO CHARGE TO YOU IF YOU ASK THEM....

signed....BUBBIE

I'm afraid your battery is gone... :(

Best thing to do is connecting jump start cables to a car while the engine is on and clamp them to your bike's battery.
If it doesn't start immediately, leave the connection on for 1 minute or so, while the engine of the car is running, then try again.
You should notice an improvement anyway (if it doesn't start, of course...).
If there is no change.... things could be bad.
Before spending money on a new battery, you better let your ride checked up by the dealer.

I was also thinking of the need to reprogram the security system that could have been reset by the lack of voltage.
But if you say that the engine attempts to start with not enough energy.... it's not the case. :19:

Let us know how it goes, please.
Ciao
Ugo

Don't pay for a tow, have the dealer pick it up if it has to go in to them. they should do it for free.

WOAH - DON'T jump start your bike with a car, unless you want to fry other things & totally void the warranty. Take other's advice & check connections then try to charge batery. If this doesn't work, take battery out & have dealer test. If they are repitible (as I think they shouild be) they should offer a battery swap. Good luck!

I realy cant believe noone has suggested simply pushing it an dumping the clutch.Got a hill nearbuy?A couple of buddies?Put it in 2nd, give her a push and there you go.

Bite the bullet and get another new battery. Once you fully discharge modern GRT low volume electrolyte batteries, they do not fully recover their full reserve capacity...and their life is severely impacted.

As for WYW suggestion, well taken, but having done the roll or push starting method not very successful on my 600 lb carbed Sporty, doing it on a "modern" 950 full sized tourer, may be tough with a weak battery, as so many accessories work at draining the "surface" charge your HD needs (200A for 4 secs)...to prime the pump, EFI enable, turn on all lights/runninging lights. ECM, TSSM, Regulator etc.

You may be successful...but the bottom of the hill comes mighty early and pushing MOCO iron beyond that is no joy, at least one with my 135 lb "slight of build" frame would be capable of...! :sd Good news is, my local HD dealer will pickup your bike FREE if you are having them do the work...no problem with that, and no huffing and puffing from this ol' guy! :coffee

I realy cant believe noone has suggested simply pushing it an dumping the clutch.Got a hill nearbuy?A couple of buddies?Put it in 2nd, give her a push and there you go.

not gonna work need a certain voltage to power up the efi 9 volts min i think it is

Been there, done that. 3 to 4 hours with the key on will definitely run the battery down to the point that nothing works, especially on my dual headlight Road Glide. Have had it happen twice now. And, simply hooking up to a battery tender overnight will not charge the battery to the point of starting the bike.

So, I've learned to leave the radio on all the time so it's barely audible. Hearing the radio on when I park reminds me to turn off the ignition. Best way to get the battery back is to hook it up to a battery charger at low amperage for a couple of hours. If no charger is present and you are out in the middle of nowhere, use jumper cables to hook up the battery to a car battery for 10 to 15 minutes. That will transfer enough of a charge to get the motor running.

Back