New Bike Break in period

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by BuffaloBill, Dec 14, 2009.

1. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Active Member

Hello Gang
    May be a silly question I am picking up the new (09) RKC this week and I will be taking Glider's advice regarding the 30-60 mph sequence 10 times and want o change my oil at the 100 mile mark, This is my question I normaly switch to synthetic after the 1st 1000 miles Can I use synthetic in my 100 mile change after break in Just wondering if it is too slick for the engine to continue to break in the gears fot the 1st 1000 miles

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Merry Christmas
    Ride Safe
    BuffaloBILL

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Switch to a good quality synthetic as soon as you like. Many high end bikes and cars come from the factory with synthetic already installed!

You also mention "gears." I haven't read any methods of accelerating the transmission break in like we do the motors. I feel like this is simply a function of time and miles. Doesn't hurt to change your transmission fluid early to something like Spectro and take a good look at the drain plug magnet to inspect for excessive metal flakes or debris.

Enjoy that new ride!

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I guess everyones's definition of "excessive" is different. I was expecting a LOT more than I actually had when I did my first transmission fluid change.

4. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Active Member

Good Morning Smitty

I changed my oil this past weekend after the 130 mile mark on the speedo I tend to belive in what you stated The oil was a nice warm gold in both the crank case and tranny also looked very clean. Other then changing over to synthetic I feel that it was a waste of good oil. I normaly change to synthetic after the 1st 1000 miles I definately will do that should I purchase another new Harley down the road There was no evidence of metal shavings what-so-ever on the magnetic plugs.

Just FYI

Merry Christmas
    BuffaloBILL

PS Also did the Heritage Bars switch-over and new Grips plus upgraded Headlight Bulb while had it apart New Bars feel great.