free website stats program New battery? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New battery?

Battery_LoadTester_Circuit.png

Here is a diagram

If you have a digital volt meter you can hook it to the battery. When you crank the starter the voltage should remain above 9.6. That is a poor man's load test. I have had batteries doing the same thing yours is and they passed the auto store load tests but they flunked the 9.6 minimum during cranking. With a new battery the starter was able to spin the engine easily and the battery maintained above 10 volts when cranking the engine. An analog (mechanical) volt meter with a needle has too much inertia to quickly show the voltage in close to real time.

Check battery cables for tightest and be sure they are clean. The cables should be checked for tightest every three months.

1. the tender ONLY maintains the state of charge that the battery has BEFORE you hook it up., so have the battery load tested.
2. go to wallmart & but a charger/maintainer. this charger at 1.5A. then maintains it from there.
3. if your battery is a sealed battery, take the tape off from the top & use 2 picks to remove the caps. yes they can be removed, then fill it with distilled water & charge it with a normal 4 /or 6 amp charger. reinstall caps & use it on your lawnmower/atv.

Do yourself a favor and don't mess around with a 7 year old battery as it's more then lived it potential and your running on borrowed time. A new battery and a good tender you'll be good to go.:s

I took everyon's advice and installed a new battery. WOW! What a difference. I thought it was cranking over fine some times but now I see it was always slow. Now it cranks so fast the bike roars to life.

Problem solved, thanks to all.

I wonder if you could start a bike today,the way I used to start my mini bike,find a hill,or run and jump on in 1st or 2nd gear and pop the clutch? Like in case of emergency.

I wonder if you could start a bike today,the way I used to start my mini bike,find a hill,or run and jump on in 1st or 2nd gear and pop the clutch? Like in case of emergency.

With the electronics on the newer bikes and having to maintain a minimum amount of volts to operate them I'd say no. JMHO.

Be the Beta tester and let us know how that works out.:rofl

Back