free website stats program New Battery turns over no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

New Battery turns over no spark

dbenn04811

I have a 2001 Heritage, installed a new battery now the bike turns over but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump but doesn't seem to be getting any spark. I have checked all fuses, all are good. What can be the problem? Side note, my dad had a charger on the old battery in the bike. Bumped charger up to start mode, I believe he said 40 amps, to try and start it. Could this have caused an electrical problem? Any and all information will be appreciated.

I have a 2001 Heritage, installed a new battery now the bike turns over but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump but doesn't seem to be getting any spark. I have checked all fuses, all are good. What can be the problem? Side note, my dad had a charger on the old battery in the bike. Bumped charger up to start mode, I believe he said 40 amps, to try and start it. Could this have caused an electrical problem? Any and all information will be appreciated.

Have you pulled plugs and actually checked for spark?

e597a8836b94a43e8e1c65cbef7f5f46.1500

Get 1 of these and check for spark, they are about 9.00 @ sears

Did you have spark before with the old battery? Bad coil? testing the coil might be where to start.

Testing your Harley coil
1 of 5
Turn off the motorcycle. Allow the engine to become cool to the touch before proceeding.
2 of 5
Disconnect, by hand, the two spark plug wires from the coil. Unscrew the smaller connections on the coil with an SAE wrench.
3 of 5
Set the ohmmeter to read resistance on the "Rx1" setting. Measure the resistance across the two smaller terminals on the coil. The meter should read between 2.5 and 3.1 ohms.
4 of 5
Set the ohmmeter to read resistance on the "Rx1000" setting. Measure the resistance across the two larger terminals on the coil. The ohmmeter should read between 10,000 and 12,500 ohms.
5 of 5
If the meter reads outside of the ranges for either of the above measurements, then the coil is faulty and should be replaced.

Follow Jack's advice as well as when you unplug the power wire to the coil check for voltage with ignition on. If there is power than probably a shorted coil. If no voltage recheck main ignition fuse, and all other fuses. I have seen many fuses blow during a full charge while cranking. Take a good look at ground wires also. And yes high voltage spikes can wipe out the ECM.
WAP.gif

Back