free website stats program New battery, and starter but STILL will not start sometimes. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New battery, and starter but STILL will not start sometimes.

When cold it labors to turn over?
Can you check with a volt meter @ the starter how much voltage is present when it does this?

No Jack. It acts like the battery is dead but it is a hot full charged battery.

Check the voltage @ the starter, it should read battery voltage, when you hit the starter how much does it drop? This will tell you where to look for loss of voltage

What SHOULD it read? I have a 400-410 Cold cranking amp battery. If it drops alot what do I look for?Shouldn't it read 12 volts?

What SHOULD it read? I have a 400-410 Cold cranking amp battery. If it drops alot what do I look for?Shouldn't it read 12 volts?

Full charge should read 12.7 volts @ battery, @ starter reading you should read same less.5 volts, when starter is applied it should not drop below 10.5 volts

I have heard of corrosion in the start switch causing all kinds of problems.

This is the problem I had with my '91 Dyna. But definitely check out the battery cables as mentioned above first. If OK, check out this:

When I opened up the switch assembly and disassembled the Start switch, it was full of corrosion by-product. Cleaned all that out, lightly sanded the copper contacts, sprayed out the switch with contact cleaner (be careful not to get on your painted parts!!), then reassembled and sprayed with lubricant.

Voila. Problem solved. Hope this is your problem, because it is an easy fix.

Cheers,

TQ

My 1992 is possessed I think! I replaced the battery and put on a new Hi torque starter and it STILL will not start sometimes. Am being told that my starter is requiring too much amperage to start it. Engine has 10.5 to 1 Kieth Blacks and an Andrews EV59 cam. Dynatech 2000 ignition system. Any ideas guys??

Did you clean both sides of the negative cable?

Does the Hi Torque starter draw more amps than the OEM? You may not only need new cables but thicker ga. as well.

When is it time to install Compression releases.

Easy start cams.

Sluggish starter voltage drop test :

Note, when doing voltage drop test, the voltmeter probes should touch the battery post, and solenoid post, not the cable or terminals on the cables.

Positive probe to positive battery post.

Negative probe to negative battery post.

Crank starter, note the voltage reading while starter is cranking.

This is your system cranking voltage, it should not be lower than 9.5v

Next:

Touch positive probe to the positive post on the starter solenoid, touch the negative post to the body of the starter.

Crank starter, read the voltage while cranking.

The reading should be the same (within .5v) as the system cranking voltage.

If the voltage readings are the same (within .5v), it means the starter is getting full system cranking voltage, so if the starter is sluggish, the problem is somewhere in the starter, or there is a mechanical issue that the starter cannot overcome.

If the reading is low, it means the starter is not getting full system cranking voltage, don`t condemn the starter yet…there is most likely a problem in either the positive battery cable circuit, or the negative ground circuit.

Back