free website stats program New battery, and starter but STILL will not start sometimes. | Harley Davidson Forums

New battery, and starter but STILL will not start sometimes.

Snuffy1967

My 1992 is possessed I think! I replaced the battery and put on a new Hi torque starter and it STILL will not start sometimes. Am being told that my starter is requiring too much amperage to start it. Engine has 10.5 to 1 Kieth Blacks and an Andrews EV59 cam. Dynatech 2000 ignition system. Any ideas guys??

Does it turn over but not start or does it not turn over?

If it is intermittent and it sounds like it is, it could be bad cables. Sometimes they get corroded inside and look fine on the outside.

If it won't turn over, I think you can run a wire from the positive battery to the solenoid to bypass the start switch.

I have heard of corrosion in the start switch causing all kinds of problems.

If the headlight doesn't dim when you hit start, then there is no starter load.

If what you are told is correct then the battery cables should be getting very hot when not starting. As Steve has asked is this a hot and or cold situation.

On my 1993 I had to replace my starter relay. I would push the starter button and nothing would happen for a couple of seconds. Finally it quit altogether.

If it is intermittent and it sounds like it is, it could be bad cables. Sometimes they get corroded inside and look fine on the outside.
If the headlight doesn't dim when you hit start, then there is no starter load.

If what you are told is correct then the battery cables should be getting very hot when not starting. .

+1
I agree, if the cables are stock from 1992, this could very well be the culprit.
Also you are asking for more amps now than when it was new.

Have you played with the timing? Heat soak can be a timing issue IMO

I just replaced the starter relay but to no prevail still have the same problem. This is in a cold start situation. I jumped it yesterday and ran it for 10-15 minutes. Shut it down and it started right back up. I had to hit the starter button twice due to compression stroke I believe but 2nd time it started. I started it several times after that with no problems went out 5-6 hours later and it started right up again. Went out last night about 9 o'clock and NO START! this is about to drive me to some C4 or a match!

Back