free website stats program New-Bad Regulator???? | Harley Davidson Forums

New-Bad Regulator????

I had charging issues over the weekend on my 04 road king. Battery light came on. I checked the cables and they were loose. I tightened the cables and hoped that was it. It was not. Battery was 2 years old and i hoped that was it. I was out of town and trying to get home. The battery didnt fix the problem. Of course the only other things were regulator or stator. On the road regulator is the best choice. I made the 60 mile trip to a harley dealer and purchased a regulator and installed. Still no fix. Must be the stator. Right? Once home i got the meter out and started checking. Stator is not grounded and putting out voltage. I am also getting voltage from the regulator(11.5) at the stator connection with the key off. Did i buy a bad regulator? I hate to buy another on til i know for sure.

Engine light coming on?

Several day ago I had a post about some charging issues I was having. I appreciate all the replys. It got me going in the right direction. Just so everyone knows I did all the checks (I'm pretty sure Correctly) and everything check as it was suppose to. I didnt have a fix until I got to the Stator. As for my question. My engine light is still coming on as it should when I turn the switch on. But it always comes on a second time a few seconds later and then goes out. It never comes on again. It doesnt matter if its running or not. If I wait it will come on twice before i start and then thats it. Is it a code or is there something else wrong. $500 for a new charging system is enough for now.

Re: Engine light coming on?

Several day ago I had a post about some charging issues I was having. I appreciate all the replys. It got me going in the right direction. Just so everyone knows I did all the checks (I'm pretty sure Correctly) and everything check as it was suppose to. I didnt have a fix until I got to the Stator. As for my question. My engine light is still coming on as it should when I turn the switch on. But it always comes on a second time a few seconds later and then goes out. It never comes on again. It doesnt matter if its running or not. If I wait it will come on twice before i start and then thats it. Is it a code or is there something else wrong. $500 for a new charging system is enough for now.

As long as it goes out after you are running, that is a historic code and can be from the previous problem you have that was never cleared (the code). Give it time and after 50 cycles of the ignition (start and run for 30 seconds each) the light will go out or you can have the dealer reset it but they may charge for the service.

As Glider says, it's a historical code. You can wait for it to clear, or better yet read & record the code, then manually clear it yourself. That will give you a clean slate and if something else pops up, you will immediately know. But either way works.

I would have continued from my original post if it's related so on lookers can glance at the history of the root problem.

So once you changed the stator, along with the new regulator, you are now charging... correct?.

Did you get to see your old stator?

Back