free website stats program New Avon's on Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Avon's on Ultra

Let me add my .02 here.

How many people have changed brands when installing new tires on their rides and said...."WOW, completely different ride" or "handles much better" or something to that effect barring old verses new treads.
Now if you take these scenarios and add it to only one end of the bike by mixing brands when replacing only one tire, where do you think that gets you then? Remember that all tire compounds are not created equal as far as traction and other aspects.

One end of the bike handles well and the other doesn't after mixing brands. You may never "experience" the difference until you have to perform an emergency stop or maneuver that isn't in a straight line, THEN you'll know the disadvantages of mixing tires. Hopefully if you're still around you'll have learned something.

I did a lot of research on four forums before I decided to put an Avon on the rear of my bike. The front Dunlop was perfectly good, and I didn't see the need to replace it at $200 when it had plenty of tread left. I, like most, go through two rears for every one front. I didn't want another Dunlop on the back, so I did my homework before making my decision.

I'll tell you what I found when I read the various threads (for the most part):

1. Various "theories" on why you shouldn't mix brands from people who had never done it.

2. Many responses from people who ACTUALLY ARE DOING THIS who reported no problems.

On a topic like this, listen to the people who have experience in the matter (good or bad) before making your decision.

Am I missing something here? Is there something bad about the Dunlops that I should know? I love the way my bike rides and handles with the Dunlops. I'd probably go crazy if it got much better. JMHO

Nothing at all wrong with Dunlops. I like the tires and the company . Many people have differing opinions of which tire is best for them.

I've had Dunlops on cars and bikes and would buy them again too.

The key here is the delta "difference" between one brand and another. As long as they are the same type/size application the difference is a lot smaller now (with the major brands anyway) strictly because they are competing for the same business focusing the designs and performance specis to specific machines to a fine degree. :s

As Hobbit pointed out earlier, as long as you match the tire to the OEM application and do not change tire size or type (radial vs bias ply) you will be fine. It just makes good sense that over the long haul, using the same tire brand on both front and rear is the most time/mile tested combination that is verified by the OEM brand of choice at the time of manufacture. They go thru hundereds of tires to find "THE" formula, you will go thru 1 or 2 sets...which one would you put your money on when it comes to that final emergency stop/turn maneuver when you need 100% tire performance? :small3d028:

Oldgeezer, the Dunlops are a good tire. Many people prefer to switch to a Metzler 880, Avon, or other brand though when they wear out. I (and some others) think the Dunlop is a bit harder than I'd like, but the upside is they last longer. It's all personal preference. You'll be fine with the Dunlops if you like them.

Last edited:
Back