free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

If down shifting to slow the bike at normal speeds and coincide downshifting with rpm I have never had a transmission problem or metal on the magnet. I do not understand the theory behind not downshifting a 800+ lb. motorcycle. All other vehicles are not prone to damage downshifting. I am not suggesting downshifting to second at 80 mph to slow for that would be crazy. With a good trans oil change more frequently than manual say at 5000 miles instead of 10,000 and normal riding should the trans not hold up?

Indeed they will

I went back and RE-READ every post....

I think the idea to HIGH REV meaning to ME over 3500 RPM every time shifted to slow down WILL put extra wear on MY tranny....

I like ALL the posting here BUT each rifer has their Own Idea of what is normal and what is NOT.. That is Good!

Saying this, I feel I do what I do and not to preach to others that are set in Their Own Ways.... right or wrong?

You have to feel your OWN way here and Ideas from Others are Just That... IDEAS..

A lot of Good posting here,,,,, I like and Agree with Some but not All.....

But ALL can have "their say" is the greatness of THIS site...

Take what you want and leave the rest...

I know, I'm always right? Never always but you got to do what is Right For YOU!

signed...re-read all....BUBBIE :D

The six speed in my 07' is being rebuilt by the dealer as we speak. Bearings went south. I want to switch to another gear oil but I'm hearing that the GL5 oils are high in sulfer and corrode yellow metals. Can any one fill me in on whether or not the 6 speed trannys have any brass or bronze bushings in them?

well, went to the servicing dealer to meet w/ regional service rep. no show and he delivered an ultimatum by email to the dealership. so now i have to take off work tuesday to go meet him. had meeting set up 3 weeks ago for today. talk about great service and warranty work. h-d all the way. no chance i'll get this fixed under warranty. i'll just rip into it myself very soon no doubt.

well, went to the servicing dealer to meet w/ regional service rep. no show and he delivered an ultimatum by email to the dealership. so now i have to take off work tuesday to go meet him. had meeting set up 3 weeks ago for today. talk about great service and warranty work. h-d all the way. no chance i'll get this fixed under warranty. i'll just rip into it myself very soon no doubt.
Glimm.....what's going on here?? Are you tellin us that the Moco won't honor the warrenty on a 10 Ultra? Is it out from under warrenty cuz of milage? Or did the Dealer do ya cuz they gave ya some bad service plan or something? Sorry man, I musta missed something here.
As for being scared..........I put 78,000 trouble free miles on my 02 RG, I got 18,000 on my 09 and it don't even act like it's broke in yet. I'm startin to think this 6spd tranny problem is kinda scarce, seems most of the problems are attributed to lube or downshifting and even those are discussion. I've only seen a coupla posts from guys who accually had problems. Glimm for one, I'd really like ta know how his story goes......

Glimm.....what's going on here?? Are you tellin us that the Moco won't honor the warrenty on a 10 Ultra? Is it out from under warrenty cuz of milage? Or did the Dealer do ya cuz they gave ya some bad service plan or something? Sorry man, I musta missed something here.
As for being scared..........I put 78,000 trouble free miles on my 02 RG, I got 18,000 on my 09 and it don't even act like it's broke in yet. I'm startin to think this 6spd tranny problem is kinda scarce, seems most of the problems are attributed to lube or downshifting and even those are discussion. I've only seen a coupla posts from guys who accually had problems. Glimm for one, I'd really like ta know how his story goes......

I had the same question. I went back and read through all his posts and the best I can figure is that he has an extended warranty that is only good at his local dealer. He had something break while on a trip, and had to have it repaired at another dealer. He had to pay this other dealer at the time of repair out of pocket.

It then sounded like the MoCo was supporting him to get the local dealer to reimburse for the expense since they sold him a deceptive warranty, but I may be confused about that. He says HD and the warranty are great, but then that there is no way this is getting done under warranty. Something in there is a typo or supposed to be sarcasm, but you can not tell from reading it which part.

I hope he comes back and straightens this out with a few more details. A quick recap of the whole story would be nice as well since the earlier posts are not entirely clear. If what I understand is correct, then I also hope the MoCo makes this right with him.

Thanks Tank! I got her back from the dealer today. First thing I'm gonna do is dump that 20/50 and get some Red Line.

this goes back to the post of where did my fluid go back in april. service guy DID NOT refill completely and i ran 2k on extremely low fluid level. bike felt like you were taking off w/ a warped rear rotor. i have talked to servicing dealer, moco proper, regional service rep., new servicing dealer, spent $724.+ on tear down and re install and its still not working right. 6.2k on clock. went 1024 miles to canada and back and still sometimes wont downshift. just nothing there until you slip the clutch, grind the gears, and kick it like there's no tomorrow. THEN it will down shift. the shifter just goes dead like it is not connected. bad spring on return? not latching onto shifter drum? shifter forks out of line? went 2k w/ syn 3 as per moco recommendations and switched beack to redline 80w green. all because some kid at mike's famous didn't read the service manual. yes, i said it, MIKE'S FAMOUS in new castle, delaware. adittionally, i've been banned from their dealerships. LUCKY ME!

on a brand new bike that was in perfect condition until a bunch of unqualified bozos got their greasy fingers in the mix. anybody have a hot line to willie g.?

Back