free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

I have a 2010 UC with 15000 happy miles on it . So far no trouble, but I don't run her real hard by slammin the gears. Just normal riding for a 67 year young man. Like to play with her but only to a point. Shes may last ride so I haveto take care of her and she me.

I have a 2010 UC with 15000 happy miles on it . So far no trouble, but I don't run her real hard by slammin the gears. Just normal riding for a 67 year young man. Like to play with her but only to a point. Shes may last ride so I haveto take care of her and she me.

haha..kicking it 67wizard - good on you :worthy - I've been a metric tourer guy for the last 14yrs and used to read those forums - there was a guy happier than a lark on the new 1800 his wife had just gotten for him - for his 78th birthday - here's hoping we're all still riding into the great sunset :newsmile040:

Not to start another oil war...I used to swear by Redline shockproof Heavy-duty in my old 04 Ultra and my wife's 05 RG. It made smooth shifting even when the engine was hot. But after replacing my transmission's shift shaft inner primary seals twice in my Ultra's transmission (~65,000 miles) and twice on my RG (~43,000 miles), I decided to quit using the Redline on both bikes. The leaching/leaking always started with minor leaching that eventually grew into drips on my garage floor. The dealer would assure me that it was "normal" wear. I don't understand "normal". Why do some bikes get this problem and do not? The dealer said something about dirt getting in between the seal and shaft which resulted in the seal failure. On the third leaking/leaching episode, I dumped the Redline oil from our transmissions. I replaced the Redline with 90 wt Mobil 1 gear oil. I sprayed brake cleaner around the area where the shift lever contacted the transmission. I cleared any evidence of oil leaking. What I found was that Mobile 1 gear oil felt just as smooth as Redline shockproof and was a lot cheaper. I never had to take my bike to the dealer to replace the inner primary seal on the third oil leak. The leak disappeared while using mobile 1 gear oil in my transmission. I don't know why but it happened. Long shot - maybe spraying the seal area removed debris that was causing the leak. Whatever the reason, I found a cheaper substitute for Redline Shockproof. Can you really make better oil that Mobil 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 400 miles on my Ultra. When it gets warmed up, I have a dickens of a time getting it in neutral. I didn't have this problem w/ the RK. No problem going into neutral when cold. Clunks a lot more than the RK too but I have 8500 mi on the RK and I'm on my 3rd oil change with Redline. Let's see what happens on the 1K service. I'll have the dealer use Redline unless I can find the Spectro Platinum 6 speed which I'd like to try. No one seems to carry the Spectro 6 speed oil out here. Spectro engine oil everywhere.

Think I may switch to the redline shockproof heavy, if for no other reasons that it won't hurt and it's cheap & easy -- and it might help. If Glider's right about the way the 6 speeds are being built -- there's an aftermarket opportunity for someone to jump on; putting together a build kit with good solid parts in place of the substandard junk -- if that's really what they're using. I wanted a 6 speed, but my warranty is over . . . so I'll hope it holds together.

On my 2007 E.G.C. the main bearing went out with about 30000 (ish) miles on it. :bigsmiley15: It started with a whine sound that was constant with no change in pitch or loudness in any gear. Took it in, and they said it was the main bearing, basically coming apart, just like the 2006 Dyna 6-speed issues. I originally was running H-D oil, then switched to Amsoil. I switched to Spectro when the whinning started, and it wasn't as loud. Then it just started getting louder again, so I took it in. Hopefully it won't happen again, and hopefully the MoCo will fix these issues... (yeah right, in our dreams!:newsmile100:)

Think I may switch to the redline shockproof heavy, if for no other reasons that it won't hurt and it's cheap & easy -- and it might help. If Glider's right about the way the 6 speeds are being built -- there's an aftermarket opportunity for someone to jump on; putting together a build kit with good solid parts in place of the substandard junk -- if that's really what they're using. I wanted a 6 speed, but my warranty is over . . . so I'll hope it holds together.

Baker has the DD6 that will eliminate all the shortcomings of the MOCO trans.

Not that I'd complain but I'd hope I wouldn't have to switch out my gears to keep my bike reliable. I also got rid of all the syn3 and installed Redline in everything on my 09 CVO RG. I don't know what lube my friend was using and haven't caught up to him to ask what failed, Walt, my mechanic buddy sez it's a good thing I switched to the Redline shockproof on my first lube change........he swears by it.
Hope this is just a few problems with a few bikes and not characteristic on all the 6 speeds.

Redline shockproof heavy is a great lube for the trans as well as Spectro Platinum. Either will give you good service from the Harley trans.being top of the line gear lubes.
Harley 6 speeds are not the best trans around. They have a number of weak areas and if the bike is ridden hard, they will not give very good service before they let you down.
Weak trap doors that flex which allows the gear set to move in the case and plastic bearing retainers are just a few areas.

Redline shockproof heavy is a great lube for the trans as well as Spectro Platinum. Either will give you good service from the Harley trans.being top of the line gear lubes.
Harley 6 speeds are not the best trans around. They have a number of weak areas and if the bike is ridden hard, they will not give very good service before they let you down.
Weak trap doors that flex which allows the gear set to move in the case and plastic bearing retainers are just a few areas.

Glider

Add the Royal Purple gear oils to that list too. :)

Back