free website stats program New 6 Speed Trans Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

New 6 Speed Trans Problems

billnapabill

I'm a little alarmed........I got a friend with a 07 SG with about 30k on it. He took it over to a Mechanic friend of mine because he thought his clutch was acting up in 1st gear, slipping, not going into gear, just causing him issues. The Mecanic didn't think it was a clutch problem because it was only acting funny in 1st gear so he drained the tranny and UH OH!....it looked like mud, seems the tranny had torn itself apart. After a few phone calls to some Dealer mechs my buddy knows, this is a problem that appears to be coming up on the new 6 speed tranny. A few of the guys told him the MoCo knows about it, seems that while the 5sp was a rock crusher, the 6sp is starting to fall apart on the guys who ride em hard.
Anybody heard anything bout this???

head the trap door bearings failing from a friend seems the bearing is smaller and different from 5 speed and that they are going out on some higher mileage.. this is just rumor as i havent seen it but he says he has done a few sets

I stopped using Syn3 in my trans after I seen metal shavings when I changed my oil I switched to Redline shock proof heavy.

I haven't heard about it, but I've heard some on-again-off-again strange whines out of mine. Only ridden it about 1200-1300 miles, though have had 1K service done in that time frame. I'm not familiar enough to know what I should and shouldn't be hearing.

I haven't heard about it, but I've heard some on-again-off-again strange whines out of mine. Only ridden it about 1200-1300 miles, though have had 1K service done in that time frame. I'm not familiar enough to know what I should and shouldn't be hearing.

I stopped using Syn3 in my trans after I seen metal shavings when I changed my oil I switched to Redline shock proof heavy.

I like the redline shockproof heavy, just for the reason it doesn't allow much metal to metal contact... The shockproof really works and on my old 2000 dyna, I put a set of rev-tech 6 speed gears(not the best) into that bike and rode hard with over 60,000 miles on that trany.... When I would drain the redline "never ever" did I have ANY metal on the magnetic drain plug.....

It quieted down a 09 road glide bike that a friend was going to take back to hd and demand a new trany cause his was so noisy... I sold him a quart of my redline and that made a believer out of him... His bike ran quiet and he was very happy with the bike....

The two quotes from the post here are from a user and one who might try some redline, it does quiet the 6 speeds down and they should last longer..

Just my opinion and about a zillion others who have tried it.

My 09 FLHR was noisy but not bad with formal+ in it when I bought it and the HD shop in bend oregon, Owner recommended to swap it out with redline shockproof heavy when I got it home.. Knowing I used it in my trade in...

Cascade Harley of Bend Oregon is where I bought my 09 bike and they USE and CARRY redline there.....

**Glider had a post that said;; (not a quote) That the hd 6 speeds were made using sub-standards parts and some plastic parts were use where metal would be better. Cheap if I remember his calling of them...

**Asked where he got that information he said(close) He just looked at the parts blow up of the 6 speed and could see them in use there..

**Hope you didn't mind me using "memory" Hope you chime in on that 6 speed information.

signed....BUBBIE

Back