free website stats program New 09 Street Glide - Exhaust mods? | Harley Davidson Forums

New 09 Street Glide - Exhaust mods?

DrBro

Hi all. NOOB checking in. I come from years of road racing cars and riding sport bikes over to my new favorite club! I have had the bike a full week and already - I am in love...

I have read the forum and learned about windscreens (Clearview arrives tomorow - 6.5 with recurve), tires - mines a 408:), breakin - 30-60-30 X 10, and exhaust. Question is, does any body just do the old scholl approach and modify stock? I chose the 09 vs 10 because I like the look better - even though I come from sport bikes. My last was a VFR with dual under seat though.

Comments?

Oh and I will update profile and pics shortly.... She is Pearl Black.

You could do it but may require some other mods like SE air cleaner and maybe a TFI to richen it up a bit .Most folks opt to change out the slip ons or go tru dual.Its only money!!!

Hey Doc...Welcome to da family! What worked best for my 09 SG Black Pearl was a set of rush slip ons pipes with 2" baffles, louder than stock but not too loud, you can still hear you radio. Dobeck TFI and the SE stage 1 air cleaner, your bike will run cooler, richer, and breathe better, if you think you want a little more get go and do cams, then go with the PC V, you can advance timing with it and add the autotune. True duals are great and there are more companies coming out with them for the new frame everyday. Do a search for the M-1251 (ABS) service bulletin and have them update at your 1k tune up. Also there is a service bulletin for the side stand too, early models lean more and some people complain about the weight to pick them up. I like the MP3 CD player I burned 8 hours of tunes on my laptop and hit random play, it's great. Check out the search on Pledge polish too. Good luck Best Tom

Bro,

Welcome and congrats. I love my true duals, PCV w/ autotune and heavy breather. Heads and 575 cams are coming this winter. Shoot us a pic when you get a chance.

OK - more NOOB questions.

Which tuner? My local shop said SE pro???

I also here a big knock on start up. Normal?

Your stock pipes will start to sound louder as you get more miles on. Mine is starting to sound louder now than it did 3 weeks ago.. I don't mind the sound of it compared to my evo softail w/the 2-1 on it. Kinda nice for a change.

Again - thanks for the input, but another related question.

If exhaust or breather are changed, is a tune needed to keep the motor safe (not too lean) or is is just for performance. I am guessing the O2 sensors with the factory fuel mapping will keep the motor safe. A tune via TFI or SE tuner will help performance. I have always done tuning on cars in conjunction with a dyno - thus my assumption for HD's as well.

And... Is there much difference performance with true duals vs. the 09 crossover? I am leaning towards the V&H based on reports of deep sound without being rhaspy. Comments????

Again - thanks for the input, but another related question.

If exhaust or breather are changed, is a tune needed to keep the motor safe (not too lean) or is is just for performance. I am guessing the O2 sensors with the factory fuel mapping will keep the motor safe. A tune via TFI or SE tuner will help performance. I have always done tuning on cars in conjunction with a dyno - thus my assumption for HD's as well.

And... Is there much difference performance with true duals vs. the 09 crossover? I am leaning towards the V&H based on reports of deep sound without being rhaspy. Comments????

The 02 sensors will adjust but they just keep you on the edge of lean. More fuel is needed and they run much better with added fuel like the TFI.

The true true duals are separate pipes from each cylinder and not a collector of sorts like on the newer bikes. The TD actually do loose a bit or low end torque due to the absence of the scavenging action in the collector type systems like the stock system.

Glider - I suspected that would be the case as I have always seen good benefit from crossovers on even my big V8's. In particular midrange punch benefits from the crossover. My last big motor (427 C5R vette at 637 hp) had big pipes all the way out, but still used a nice X-pipe crossover. I had looked at True Dual header pipes, but am leaning toward leaving the stock header with slip ons only. I also am thinking the sound will be better when it drops the rear cylinder at stop lights with the cross over vs. TD.

Back