free website stats program never sieze on spark plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

never sieze on spark plugs

Billbo

Hello to all again. First of all I guess I just do not know how to use the "search" feature on this forum. I see the drop down window, then type in "anti-sieze" but I get a ton of posts -- even about putting on a new seat. I try to find out IF I should use anti-sieze on my spark plugs but with no luck ----- so,,, I resort to asking you all here the question -

Am I supposed to be using anti-sieze when installing spark plugs and if so what type?

Thanks Billbo

Last edited:
I use it on my spark plugs but I am also cautious to not over torque the plugs. That is the key IMO.

Our moderator Fin (Brain) calls it copper grease. :D

If you want some opposing food for thought read this.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

If your plug has a Zinc or Nickel plating then NGK cautions not to use anti seize as it can allow you to over tighten. Even using a torque wrench this could be possible.

yes a heat resistant one
On this side of the pond we use copper grease for almost all anti seize requirements
I buy it in a tub and stick a small paint brush in it and paint it on when needed as a small tube does not last long and costs half the price of a tub
Copper Grease 500g High Temperature Anti-Seize: Amazon.co.uk: Car Motorbike
Comma CE500G 500g Copper Ease: Amazon.co.uk: Car Motorbike

Brian

Thanks so much to all. JACK - I did buy the permatex as pictured (before I read the replys) but was just wondering whether to use COPPER or this GRAY anti seize from permatex. I did see both. The tube you showed said for use on spark plugs in aluminum heads. So I bought it.

TANK you too are so right on - DO NOT over tighten. Good advise. I dont, but still didnt know if I should use anti sieze or not. Some do some dont. go figure.

FIN - do you use "copper grease" on everything that needs anti sieze? In Harleys, what is best - copper or aluminum anti-sieze. among other things the 'gray' stuff contains aluminum, calcium oxide, graphite and silica. Not sure about the copper - I did not buy it.

Thanks all again
Bill

Bill, in a nutshell both are good, having used both products for years on brake parts to water pump bolts, you cannot go wrong IMO with either product:s If it says Permatex you know it is Number 1 choice in the mechanics world

Now if anyone wants to give me instructions on using the 'search' feature and being able to find what I want --- I would appreciate it. I can use the search button - but lets say I am looking for air pressure in tires - so I type in air pressure in tires and hit search - I get a thousand posts on everything under the sun with the word 'air' or the word 'pressure' or the word 'tire' -- you will get posts on air cushioned seats!!! and air deflectors and air shocks and oil pressure and air pressure in shocks and dunlop tires and avon tires etc and yes, even air pressure in tires if you're lucky. I actually do understand how a 'search' button works, but, it seems I need to search my search findings to find what I am looking for and weed out what I am NOT looking for. Just help me understand how to find something using the search feature. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me???

Thanks up front
Bill

Yes i use copper grease everywhere and so far has never let me down as it works at high temperatures it is good on the joints on the exhaust system so the slip ons can slip off as well

Brian

Now if anyone wants to give me instructions on using the 'search' feature and being able to find what I want --- I would appreciate it. I can use the search button - but lets say I am looking for air pressure in tires - so I type in air pressure in tires and hit search - I get a thousand posts on everything under the sun with the word 'air' or the word 'pressure' or the word 'tire' -- you will get posts on air cushioned seats!!! and air deflectors and air shocks and oil pressure and air pressure in shocks and dunlop tires and avon tires etc and yes, even air pressure in tires if you're lucky. I actually do understand how a 'search' button works, but, it seems I need to search my search findings to find what I am looking for and weed out what I am NOT looking for. Just help me understand how to find something using the search feature. Does anyone else experience this or is it just me???

Thanks up front
Bill

Bill,

I use the Hard to see above the page """Google""" Custom Search

""Air pressure in tires"" and this is what comes up.....

Link:

Search Result - Harley Davidson Community

Try the "Google Custom Search" not the other search...

Tell me IF this Helps you...

signed....BUBBIE

Bill a good rule of thumb when using wet torque is to reduce the setting by 20 per cent:s

Back