free website stats program neutral | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

neutral

:Dmy shovel does not go into neutral easy at lights . i found that if i try when the bike is moving at a crawl i can get it out of gear. something i learned to live with. on a positive side your ready to move if u dont like the situation ur in :D

waynebow,

VERY Good Point!
and another reason I like the full adjustment on the clutch... Long wait at light and Less wear and Heat from the friction on clutch plates while in Low gear..

signed....BUBBIE

Right on...with dry clutches make proper adjustment is a must or waiting in gear in traffic at a stop would burn out that clutch in short order.

I found a lot of riders are Afraid to keep the clutch cable adjustment on the Tight side... Thinking Loose is better when it is not..... I make sure that on my 09 FLHR that the cable adjuster clearance at the clutch handle is no more than 1/16 3/32 and Not a full 1/8 inch...

I also like the 1/2 turn Out adjustment on the clutch pack when adjusting it...

Most of the time when I first start my bike Cold.... Then squeeze the clutch in for ten seconds,,,, it shifts into first with NO clunk.(.) (Redline Shockproof Heavy)

Keeping the adjustments on that TIGHT side of the 1/2 turn out and under 1/8" at the clutch handle, hardly ever a clunk as the clutch usually disengages with the "full throw" I allow my clearances...
These adjustments I use, allow for a better separation of the clutch plates and I like that...

signed....BUBBIE

OH Yes, this is how I make finding Neutral EASY...

Interesting and not sure if I understand why this works. I will have to try this after Port Dover Friday the 13th.

What fluid are you using in the Tranny? A lot of guys with Syn3 and other lighter oils are having trouble finding neutral. Change to Spectro Paltinum 75/140 for the 6 speeds and 75/90 for the 5 speed, and you should have greatly improved shifting, tranny gear noise, and alas finding neutral is solved.

Interesting and not sure if I understand why this works. I will have to try this after Port Dover Friday the 13th.

Taking OUT all the excess play PUSHES the clutch plates farther apart.... Imagine only pulling in your clutch handle 1/2 way (drag) and then all the way in... No drag......

signed....BUBBIE

I have this issue with my new 2010 Fat Boy. When it is cold or off I can easily find Neutral but when hot at a light very hard. I have tried reving it up but not to 2000.

I have only 500 miles and have changed the oil and trans fluid but not the primary yet. I may do that this weekend. I know it is still under warranty if that does not work.

I did not have this issue with other late model Harleys I had.

Back