free website stats program Neutral Switch Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Neutral Switch Replacement

Bosbury1

Several weeks ago my neutral light in the light assembly stopped working so today replaced the switch ($17.00) heard about issues. Still same problem removed the instrument cluster moved the wires to see if the light would go to no avail. Can the LED light be bad? From the wiring schematic it looks like a ground wire and and wire to light assembly. Any was to test? Thank you.

The switch typically is in series with the source or the ground return and which side of the neutral light it is on will determine which direction to troubleshoot (using "Divide & Conquer Method")...so you have to check the electrical schematic to determine if switch is receiving power on one side, and when neutral position on tranny is found, the opposite end reads the same. Electrical ckts are fairly easy for lighting systems, only when they start adding complexity like relays and controller logic do things get a little "dicey".:s

Used a multimeter power at the switch, but when I remove the electrical connector for the instrument console no power. Somewhere between the switch and connector their might be a bad connection. Also, the Tan wire goes to the TSSM so it could be computer as well. Beer time will check later

I may not explain this correctly - so here goes.
With the clip connected to the neutral switch , firmly grap the wire an inch before the clip and push down.

My thinking is that the wire may be broken before the clip under the insulation and this may force the copper in the wire to make a connection.

No codes from the bike. Pinched the Tan wire from the connector about and inch or two no "N" light. Also removed the connector used a test light positive to battery and touched the Balck wire gound the test light work. Reversed with the ground and touched the Tan wire no light, so no power. I did see that the Tan wire goes to the TSSM but when I ran the codes nothing. How can i tell if i have a short can i do a test?

Would you be able to up load a couple of pages out of the service manual. Need to see the core wiring which shows the neutral switch and the page with the instruments along with light indicator.

The wire going to the TSSM is an INPUT to the TSSM. I don't believe it has anything to do with the light not coming on.

There are TWO wires going to the neutral switch. unplug them from the switch & Short them together. Does the light now turn on.

When I place a wire between the Tan and Black wire no light. Also, how do i post a PDF file my options only show linking to an URL

Hoople,
Attached find a copy of the wiring schematic. My scanner is not the best.

Attachments

• Neutral_Switch.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 137
Hey Bos,

When you turn the ignition switch to the on position does your backlite for the fuel gauge as well as the oil indicator light come on? If not, check the fuse for the instuments.

Hoople,
Attached find a copy of the wiring schematic. My scanner is not the best.

Sorry, I can't make out anything with that picture and it is only 1/2 of the circuit. Without seeing where the wires go (page two) it's like driving off a cliff.

I have the Clymer manual for your bike but it shows the neutral indicator lamp as incandescent and not LED so I really can't trust it.

Presently is your oil indicator lamp working correctly. It comes ON, & once bike is started it goes off.

Back