free website stats program netural problem | Harley Davidson Forums

netural problem

Hi all a friend of mine has a 2000 softail with delkron bottom end, the problem he has is , getting it into netural once the bike has heated up to running temp, it seams to be fine for the first few miles then starts messing up. The cluch has been stripped and that was all ok, the cable has been ajusted so meny time,s , cluch also ajusted , we even changed the gearbox oil, and he still has the same prob, we have checked and ajusted all we can see, Anyone got any idea what else we can look at. cheers

If you are convinced that the problem isn't in the trans, look into the primary. Oil level too high or a grade of oil that is too heavy will do as you mentioned aside from the clutch being adjusted wrong. It must be adjusted on a COLD engine to operate properly when hot.

You mean if he gets it down to first, then tries to half click up, it goes to second? What about from second, half click down? The only thing I can imagine is a detent that is out of spec, or worn, that when the gearbox heats up increases the gap and wont allow it to seat and lock in.

ok thanks , will check that out , the oil in the primary was also changed on the same day as the gearbox, changed with Harley trans and primary oil. Will have to look at all the other parts connected again, Will re ajust the cluch again , before the bike even start,s so it will be cold. and hope to get it fixed that way. Yeh even if he is in second and taps lighty down it will go straight back to first, it will only go in to neutral if he turns bike off, ???. cheers

I hope its the oil grade/level, otherwise you're probably looking at a bent shift fork, or bad spring detent, neither are a huge deal or cost, but pulling the trans apart to fix them isn't a bowl of gravy, especially if you don't have the right tools. But if you do end up in there, be sure to check out all the gears and bearings real close, better to replace that stuff while you already have her cracked open then to have to open her up again 6 mos. down the road.

One recommendation that will make a difference is the Spectro platinum oil in the gearbox. You will notice a difference in shifting and finding neutral too.It's for 6 speeds but can be used in 5 speeds too. They also have another GL1 for 5 speeds but I would use this one below.

Take a look here too for some more input, this has been blamed for more than one shifting problem.
Shifter Shaft Grease Fitting - Harley Davidson Community

You may want to check the shifter fork adjustment too, look in the service manual for the procedure.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

just seen that cluch ajustment vid you got on here, will reajust all to that spec and see what appins cheers

ok thanks guys will look at the things you suggested. well will get my mate with the bike to , cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back