free website stats program Negative cable ground - new position? | Harley Davidson Forums

Negative cable ground - new position?

RAWLDYMAN

Might be repacing my battery soon and I see that the battery negative cable on my 1200 is grounded in just about the most innaccessible position one could find on the bike. It's right down in the middle of the bike, behind the starter, behind oil pipes, in front of what I think is the ECM...
Even if I could get it off using some kind of swivel socket, there's just no space to get a hand in there to get it hooked back on, never mind get the nut started & screwed home.
Which brings me to my question:
If one could find a more accessible/handy location for grounding the cable would it be ok, electrically, to do it? If it could be done it would save a lot of trouble. Or is this off the wall?

When a bike has a solid mount engine there is no problem with where the earth strap from the battery is fitted however with a rubber mount motor there needs to be an earth connection between between the motor and the frame
I am pretty sure you can have the earth strap from battery to anywhere on the frame or motor but there needs to be a good connection between the motor and frame

Brian

.... however with a rubber mount motor there needs to be an earth connection between between the motor and the frame
Thanks Brian
As mine is rubber mount, I take it that means that there's another cable (earth connection?) somewhere connecting the motor to the frame, because the motor would otherwise be isolated from the frame by the rubber mountings?

I am pretty sure you can have the earth strap from battery to anywhere on the frame or motor but there needs to be a good connection between the motor and frame

So could I just attach the neg cable to the nearest handy place on the frame -maybe under the seat somewhere? Would make life a lot simpler...

What makes me wonder about this is, if it were that simple, why the MoCo put it in such a difficult place on these bikes in the first place?? Am I missing something?

I am not sure at this time exactly how your bike is wired but with modern electronics stuff has to be done right I personally would keep the earth strap connected to the motor/gearbox unit somewhere
Often the moco will do some things that seem to us daft but keeps clutter hidden

Brian

Also the electronics have to be a certain way so that there is no interference with the operation of the systems...:eam

Harley Davidson Forums This may help you understand the importance of grounds, you can use a test light hooked up to the positive of the battery, probe end of the test light will now light up when you touch metal that will complete the ground circuit

if your changing the battery why are you undoing the earth strap of the cases? or is it just to move it per say as you don't like were it is? on the earlier rubber mounts it was attached to the cases on the outside edge of the primary towards the rear on the UK bikes but I've found a few service manual pics for yours with the new centre mount

Attachments

• sm06658a.jpg
    sm06658a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 27
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 27
if your changing the battery why are you undoing the earth strap of the cases?
Because that's the way it says in the manual. And, the battery space is so tight that there isn't room to get the cable off the neg post - neg cable has very little/no slack to allow the battery to move out to get a spanner on it.

or is it just to move it per say as you don't like were it is?

As the place where the earth is connected to the motor is really hard to get at, I had thought if I can get it off, I might resite it in a more accessible spot for future access - only if that would be ok electrically of course.

it suggests as well as unclipping the ECU to get more room buy i couldn't get the pic to up load

Think this might be a way to get at the earth mount on the motor; undo rear exhaust clamp, unbolt drive sprocket cover and move it out of the way a bit. This should enable an open end spanner to reach the neg connection on the motor. Still awkward with the oil pipes etc in way but seems do-able.
Gonna have a go at it anyway.

@ Hobbit: is that in the FSM?? Can't see how that ECM cover could be shifted.

The pic from the manual showing the extension & swivel might work to get it off: it's getting the nut set back on the post again and started that would be the hard bit - just no room to get a hand in there!

Back