free website stats program Needs some opinions on PINGING | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Needs some opinions on PINGING

Thanks for the input so far. I'm goin out Tuesday to ride, gonna try the Lucas Octane boost first..... If that doesn't work I'll knock the timing and adv curve down to 0 and take off again.

but in a word the GAS is junk now

Your right Jack. I just noticed that the manual for the TC88A ignition was written back in 2007. In April of 2007 ethanol fuels had not yet hit the streets in Daytona Beach where Daytona Twin Tec is located.
The manuals should really be revisited and brought up to date. Those were the Good Old Days.:)

Your right Jack. I just noticed that the manual for the TC88A ignition was written back in 2007. In April of 2007 ethanol fuels had not yet hit the streets in Daytona Beach where Daytona Twin Tec is located.
The manuals should really be revisited and brought up to date. Those were the Good Old Days.:)

:s You betcha Hoop:s

That being said there is a few stores around the house were you can buy ethanol free in all 3 octane levels, maybe I shoud give it a try? There about 30mins from the house but it would be worth a try. OH YEAH something important I left out in the 1st post is that the pingin only happens when the bike is up to operating temps. It will not do it until then even if you lug it around..... plus the hotter it is outside and the longer you ride without stopping the more pronounced the ping is.

That being said there is a few stores around the house were you can buy ethanol free in all 3 octane levels, maybe I shoud give it a try? There about 30mins from the house but it would be worth a try. OH YEAH something important I left out in the 1st post is that the pingin only happens when the bike is up to operating temps. It will not do it until then even if you lug it around..... plus the hotter it is outside and the longer you ride without stopping the more pronounced the ping is.

Usually I have always Shifted Down a gear to prevent the Ping... Does yours Still ping if you are revving above a normal cruise RPM.

(one gear lower and still the Ping?)...

signed....BUBBIE

If I shift down and keep it above 3,000rpm it doesn't do it. But were I live and ride here in the mountains it really can be a pain having to keep it reved up all the time but that has what I've been doing. But i would like to eliminate it if possible.

But were I live and ride here in the mountains it really can be a pain having to keep it reved up all the time .

Funny but I'm just the opposite. When I'm riding the twisties or roads with lots of elevation change, I like to keep the RPM's up a bit. I tend to let the engine purr along more when I'm flat and level.

there is a few stores around the house were you can buy ethanol free in all 3 octane levels, maybe I shoud give it a try?

Guess it is worth a try but I am not really sure what it will tell you. I don't know how bad your case of detonation is, but I have recorded detonation in my engine and I was not able to hear it (even faintly) while using the factory stock pipes.

I have never ridden your bike & this is just my opinion, but if you can hear detonation over a set of Rhinehart true dual pipes,,, it's gotta be coming from both cylinders and not just from the rear hot one. I would say you have a bad case of detonation.

UPDATE: I went out and took a 250 mile ride yesterday and discovered it's a fuel related issue!! I rode to a station with "PURE" 93 octane, fueled up and added a dose of Lucas Octane booster and took off..... Pinging was gone!!! I ran out that whole tank and only heard it ping a couple times through the whole tank and that was pulling alot of hills. I had to fill up before I made it home so I stopped and filled back up but didn't put the booster in and the ping came right back. Glad to know it's a fuel related issue and not something more costly.

That reminds me of when I went to Harley's 100th in Milwaukee. I gassed up in Chicago with cheap gas and wow. Sounded like the motor was going to fall apart from the noise [pinging]. I had put cheap gas in before and never really had much of a problem. But then again it was awfull hot had a passenger and was loaded down with gear. I would try to Rocket Fuel AND high octane gas.

Back