free website stats program Needs advice from those who understand! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Needs advice from those who understand!

A second question...are you moving from the UK permanently? Sometimes a Harley is can be a "--gift that keeps on giving". You might offer it to one of your very closest family or friend who would "appreciate" it. I know it would be a hard thing...but prices and availability of such bikes ARE better here. There is a saying that "--the next best deal is just around the corner". As Smitty and others have said...owning an H-D is really an act of passion and not really a sensible exercise in dollars and sense...sad but true LOL!:D

You're right, there is so much more choice in the US and better value; I don't know if it'll be permanent at the moment and my head says 'sell it' but my heart says take it and let it free on the US roads again and I want to be the one riding it.

In a previous post I explained I was moving from the UK to Virginia. I have a dilemma and I figured ask all of you because you understand.
I have a 2006 Road King Police, that I love; a rare bike in the UK. It has 2000 miles on the clock and was never actually served as a Police Bike. I have title deeds from Ohio prior to its export to the UK.
I want to bring it with me to the States because I love it. However, a lot of people are saying don't bother buy another in the US. I want to ship it and to keep the cost down do the customs clearance myself.
Am I mad? or does this make sense to you guys? Equally has anyone done this and can give me some good advice?

I'm hoping your 2000 miles is a typo?? 500 miles a year???? How attached can you be if you only ride 500 miles a yr. (Hoping 20000 5000 a yr) or that your daily commute is only 2 miles (but then the bike never heats up) or you never take it out in the rain. My brother shipped a car from Germany no problems. My only advice is to seal the crate tight. Foam the corners of crate. Seems that the critters on ship like to eat the insulation from electical wires. He had to get a new main harness for car because it was all chewed up from trip over.

I'm hoping your 2000 miles is a typo?? 500 miles a year???? How attached can you be if you only ride 500 miles a yr. (Hoping 20000 5000 a yr) or that your daily commute is only 2 miles (but then the bike never heats up) or you never take it out in the rain. My brother shipped a car from Germany no problems. My only advice is to seal the crate tight. Foam the corners of crate. Seems that the critters on ship like to eat the insulation from electical wires. He had to get a new main harness for car because it was all chewed up from trip over.

You're right 2000 miles, previous owner did nothing on it, its my second Harley, bought it last year and then was stationed over seas, returned about a month ago so; out on it most weekends now(work other side of the country during the week). Used to do 10000 a year when I worked locally. See! not even had a chance to ride it properly. Made one trip this spring and that was the 600 mile round trip to work.

If you love your bike as much as what you say I would ship it and just deal with the cost and red tape, which may be somewhat of a pain since 9-11, but it will be worhth it to you in the long run,,good luck!

Tough call. My husband usually looks into shipping a bike, (dual sports mostly) to some of the places he has worked, but it usually evens out in cost as to what it would cost to buy a bike when he gets to his destination.

Note that he is usually shipping a light weight dual sport/enduro type bike that costs a lot less than a Harley. :s Therefore, if you spend $2500 to ship a bike that would cost you $15k to buy, it may be worth shipping.

JMO, but if this re-location is possibly "temporary" then why not store the bike in UK until you see how things pan out in the US...?? Then if it doesn't become parmanent you don't need to spend $$$ to re-ship bike back to UK. If permanent US residence comes into play - have bike follow you over later...

Iceman makes good sense. But how long do you want to go without. Unless there is a strong attachment to THAT bike I would sell it there and buy another here. There are some Swwweeeeet deals to be had at this time.

My assumption is that you still "owe" on the HD you are thinking about shipping...

If you sold it and then came to the US, would you buy new or used?
Right now, you should be able to tell what you have, with your used bike.
If you by a new "used" bike here, you have more of an unknown as far as wear and tear.

If you buy "used" over in the US and then have something go haywire, unless it was a fantastic deal, you are in for more $$$$. And, if it was such a great deal, I would wonder about it.

Just a guess, but if you are considering the shipping costs, you might not be as attached to it as you think. If you are attached, you are attached.

You mentioned that the police bike is kind of rare in the UK and that is a reason you are attached to it. Just keep in mind here in the US the police bikes are not that rare.......fyi I have been researching pre owned bikes in my area and a dealer in southern NH has 4 of them for sale right now. Basically I am saying that the police model in the UK may stand out.....but over here you won't stand out quite so much.

Back