free website stats program need trans help! | Harley Davidson Forums

need trans help!

my shifter assembly shaft broke inside the trans case it wasnt running when it broke so i dont think it hurt the gears my question is is that replacable with the tranny in the bike if so how any help ould be great,oh yeah its a 5speed touring bike

my shifter assembly shaft broke inside the trans case it wasnt running when it broke so i dont think it hurt the gears my question is is that replacable with the tranny in the bike if so how any help ould be great,oh yeah its a 5speed touring bike

Wasn't running? How did it break?

You don't HAVE to take the tranny off the bike to fix it, but it would be easier. You will have to pull the tranny apart so that you can replace ALL the broken stuff and clean out the bottom of the case carefully to make sure there are no little hard bits in there. One chunk of hard stuff from what broke could seriously tear up the bulk of the tranny if it got into the right (wrong?) place.

TQ

won't swear by this, but I believe the top will come off the transmission and allow access to shift drum and shaft without removing trans from bike. Don't have a manual with me and my memory fades.

I've done quite a few of these and have never considered removing the case from the bike to do it. You will have to remove the inner and outer primary plus the complete gear set. There are a few special tools that are needed.

thanks what kind of special tools are needed?dont the gears come out the right side,also do they have to come all the way out or just enough to get the shaft out and back in i appreciate any comments , it broke why i was wiring the bike i was checking the netrual light it was on moved shifter it off like it should pulled shifter back up with my hand and it just kinda went into freeplay took top off trans off and seen shaft broke

Back