free website stats program Need to know horsepower of XL1200 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need to know horsepower of XL1200

In the uk 33bhp restrictor kits can be fitted to bikes to reduce the power output to comply with regulations the kit has to be fitted by and certified by an mot inspector
the restrictor kit takes the form of a large washer that is fitted in the inlet system to reduce the flow of air/fuel into the cylinders
it is sort of the opposite of doing a stage 1
im pretty sure an hd dealer should be able to do this and certify the restriction

Brian

What a stupid rule. I am glad we don't have anything like that here or I would tell them to buy my first bike. No way would I buy a bike because of horsepower and then have to trade up to get more horsepower two years later.

Anyone can kill themselves on anything if they are wreckless enough.

Hello Alice. I would like to register my motorcycle.

Mr. Hoople, What brand of motor-scooter do you own and would you know what your wattage of power is per kilogram of weight.

Yes Alice, it's a Hayabusa and it has .75KW for every 2 lbs of weight.

Ok Mr. Hoople, Would you like your renewal Bi-Monthly instead of yearly.

Alice, why on earth would I want a Bi-Monthly renewal?.

Well Mr. Hoople, because we don't expect you to live out a year renewal.!:)

In the uk it all depends on how you do your motorcycle training your age and your previous road experience
i personally started on a 125 then had a 250 then a 400 then a 750 and have had various different sizes of motorcycle over the years
i personally think that all riders should be restricted to 33bhp for the first 2 years of riding till they have gained sufficient experience to be able to ride a 200 mph+ motorcycle a 3 or 5 day course is not sufficient experience in my opinion and at times give a bad press to the more experienced by the number of them that do the 5 day course buy the biggest and most powerfull bike they can afford and kill themselves prompting more regulations to save the motorcycling public from themselves

Brian

As Hobbit said *wink* *winK* there are a bit of losses from the crank to the belt to the wheels/bearings and tires. 20% is a bit much, to expect for losses though...but to be fair, 10-15% would not be...add aging and such that horsepower to weight ratio may be okay...at 52-55 HP for a stock HD at the rear wheel...as has been measured by motorcycle magazines for newly minted models here in California...

Heard on local radio this morning was good weather this weekend so police expecting motorcycle accidents across the grampian police area and will be out to educate wherever possible (read that as speeding fines)

Brian

... i personally think that all riders should be restricted to 33bhp for the first 2 years of riding till they have gained sufficient experience ...
Brian

Why? What is the difference between getting on a bike and hopping into a 200hp car as a new driver??? Nothing. So why are there NO restrictions on automobiles but motorcycles.

Put to keep on subject. Based on 60hp and knowing the actual weight of bike and rider it comes in at 12.89 Kw so that is well below the limit.

Restrictions were placed on bikes in the uk in 1981 to try to prevent the young riders from having so many road deaths
this has worked to a certain extent but now when the young drivers get out of their depth of ability they seem to have a number of friends with them in my area there are many road deaths of young people often it is 3 or 4 at a time if i were legislating i would have a maximum bhp for new drivers of cars also
perhaps when i started riding and driving finances were such that i started small and got to larger and more powerfull as i matured as a person and as a road user i was riding bikes for 7 years before i drove a car

Brian

Back