free website stats program Need to know horsepower of XL1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need to know horsepower of XL1200

cromwell

Long story short. In order to get my Irish D/L I need to know what the brake horsepower is on a stock 2009 1200C. It is rumored here (can not seem to find anyone to confirm it) that the only two HD models that newly licensed Irish drivers can not operate are the 1200C Sportster and the VRod. As it stands right now without knowing the horsepower number I will NOT be able to operate the bike for two years in order to comply with Irish law.

Thanks,

Tony

I don't understand. If you get an answer from someone here, are they just going to take your word for it. Or do you need a Published spec? It sounds like you will need some kind of Proof and not just word of mouth.

This will allow me to do the calulations ahead of time. As I do not need to spend the $500 and have to send the bike away to get it dyno tested if I do not need to.

I still don't understand how a number out of thin air is going to help you. Lets face it,, real world H.P. numbers are lower than factory quoted for several reasons. Most all dynos at dealerships are not Brake dyno's so those H.P. numbers are Not brake Horsepower.

Brake horsepower numbers are no fudge numbers using a load cell module to calculate True Torque.

Need just a number? I would bet 52 is a pretty close number running E10 fuel

Hobbit,

Here in Ireland it all depends on the power to weight ratio. Here is the requirement directly from the regulation.

Motorcycle engine size restriction.
17. A person granted a provisional licence for the first time on or after the commencement of these Regulations to drive vehicles in category A and who on obtaining a certificate of competency in that category is subsequently granted a driving licence in that category, shall, until a period of two years after the grant of the latter licence, be restricted to driving only those vehicles in the said category which have a power output not exceeding 25 kW or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg, or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars, with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg.

I know what the weight of the bike and myself I just need to know what the horsepower is. If I can ride it then my only choice is to sell it as no one here will insure it.

I tried talking to the HD dealer and they would not say what it is and nowhere on the HD website does it list HP.

Starting to wish I never bought the bike and stuck with my 97 Jeep TJ that got 8 MPG.

have a power output not exceeding 25 kW

Should have said that to start with. I would think the XL1200 has more than 33 horsepower. Unless you can bring in a "doctored" dyno pull sheet I can't see you getting it to pass.

Same law in France, maxi 34HP during the first 2 years.
Weight is approx 240kg for 1200C.
If you want respect the law: 240 * 0.16 = 38.4 hp approx.
For sure the 1200C is over this limit

......in the UK the weight and power of the 883 makes it ideal as it does not need restricting if you do a dyno power test on them.

That's odd - when I got my sporty (just after getting my licence) the dealer said they would HAVE TO restrict it so as to comply with the 2 year limit of 33bhp. They told me that, unrestricted, the bike was "about 50bhp" and I would not be road legal and not insured to ride it. Looks like I got taken for £65 for something I did'nt need.....?

Somehow I see this "certified Dyno certificate" becoming UN-certified real quick..:p

I left you guys alone for just 5 minutes!

Back