Need to find and replace inner primary case on a 1975 Shovel.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Werloc, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Werloc

Werloc Member

I just bought my buddy's 1975 FXE Shovelhead. It needs a few parts before I ride it home, so I'm doing the work at his place until the snow is all gone (not anytime soon..:(). The inner primary case is cracked from the final drive chain being thrown. I'm new to Harley's, and my buddy doesn't know anything about them either. Anyway, I've been searching online for a replacement, and can't seem to find one. I did find 2 aftermarket chrome ones, but I do NOT want chrome. I was wondering if any of you know where I can look? Used would be prefered. Also, where on the cover is the OEM part #..? Can I see it buy just remover the outer cover, or do I need to take more appart to see it..?

Thanks...:)

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I'm sure you've thought of this but since the primary's not a pressurized area, a repair with something like JB Weld should be fine to get your bike home, depending on where the crack is located, of course.

3. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

I'll be following this thread because I may go through the same thing someday. This is just a guess, but I bet there is no part number on it. And if there is, the part numbers probably have changed since then. You may end up having to go with a belt drive primary. Spendy fix, but way cool! Good luck, maybe someone will be along with all the right answers for ya

4. Werloc

Werloc Member

Yeah, he put 500 miles on it the way it is. It's a chain primary drive, so it leaks. I'm thinking maybe having it repaired if I can't find one. Not sure if that could be repaired though. I can ride it home the way it is. I just want to fix it.

5. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I think Dr. has you covered with the JB weld. I've used it many times and it works great. If there's room inside the cover no-one will ever see the fix.

6. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member Contributor

1970-'84 FXE inner primary case should be 60441-82A (not chrome). There is a difference in FLH and FXE primary's for '70-'84. J&P catalog is a good reference. There's several on ebay for $225 on up. For that amount, I would try a repair first.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. Werloc

Werloc Member

Great, thanks, I'll look into J&P....:s

8. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

A good repair/alu welder can probably grind out the crack (depends on location), weld it up & smooth grind it. Then it'll just be like a barely noticable scar adding more history to that fine scoot...

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member Contributor

Watch out for cracking on the crank case behind the alternator, The Shovels were famous for that too:s

10. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member