need to clear this up, dealer said i had 88b motor??

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ron1978, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

is it true, i have a 2005 rk fuel injected,
    i have the little small shock lookin things attached to motor to the frame, so whats the motor that i'm running? guy on forum said 88a not a 88b

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Road king is an "A" motor, softails (rigid mount) are a "B" (balanced internally) motor.

3. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

thanks glider!!

4. cowboywildbill

cowboywildbill Active Member

I alway's wondered why they didn't put the balanced motor on the rubbermount bikes also? You would think it would be ultra smooth!

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree with Steve here. There's too many extra parts that take some power to drive in the balanced motors. The drive gear for the balancers is pressed on to the shaft and have been known on a few occasions to move throwing out the balancing of the entire system. If you think the older softails without the balancing feature vibrated, you "ain't seen nothing yet" when this happens.:D

Balancer Chains - Harley Davidson Community

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

More rotating mass more to go wrong and what about robbing power HMMMM:p

7. Troy1225

Troy1225 Active Member

Lkie wildbill, I always thought the balanced motor in a Road King would be great. After seeing the pictures and reading about the balancers, I'm glad the Road King doesn't have the balanced motor.

Thanks for the link glider :)

8. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

Seems like every "balanced" bike I've ridden has an annoying "buzz" vibration. I'll take the "unbalanced" A-motor on the touring bikes any day; they are much smoother above idle speeds.