free website stats program Need to add miles to my odometer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need to add miles to my odometer

It's a CA law for "new" vehicles & their smog/emission stds - here's their quote: "California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle."

Bluehound: Did you meet any of their exceptions (divorce/inheritance, stolen replacement, replace destroyed, or AD military reg)? Also, double-check to ensure the bike doesn't already meet CA emissions. Otherwise, you might want to take that "dream ride" vacation early.

Funny how simple laws setup to fluster the lawless get law abiding citizens in a bind. Part of the reason for the 7500 mile law was to prevent "Gray Market" acquisition of a freshly minted race ready bike from one state (or country), and money (be surprise there) to get it licensed and registered by just crossing a border.

Anyone remember Two Stroke Racing Bikes that needed to be "homologated" on the streets in order to be allowed to race them in particular race classes?...well there were plenty of well heeled privateers and collectors who wanted 'em. What better way to acquire a $100,000 race ready bike and have it legally licensed with nary a blink blink law limiting them (lucky guys) and taxes..whats that?...can't hear ya through all the blue smoke and wail of a 2-stroke screaming at 10,000 RPM on song, kinda missed the boat on that one huh.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Road King that was bought new in CO. Now I am trying to register it in CA and they won't register it until it has 7500 miles on it. Current mileage is 3300. The DMV suggested going on a long road trip and bring it back. Certainly, there must be an easier way of adding miles other than letting it idle on a lift for 3 days. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Im assuming that it has CO tags on it? Otherwise how could they tell you to ride a bike that's not registered?

Bluehound, NO offense intended here.......but you have owned the bike 3 years? You live in California? What's the hold up on the miles man?

Just another example of calrussias stupidity! cali is a bueatiful place with lots to offer but OMG!!! it must be the climate that atracts all that dumbness to one place! bluehound find a way to keep it reg to co and dont give cali your money!

I have a 2006 Road King that was bought new in CO. Now I am trying to register it in CA and they won't register it until it has 7500 miles on it. Current mileage is 3300. The DMV suggested going on a long road trip and bring it back. Certainly, there must be an easier way of adding miles other than letting it idle on a lift for 3 days. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I'm for riding!

This is the second time I have read about this law. The other was in a mag. and a man had built his daughter a sporty. He lived outside of Cal. and the daughter lived in Cal. He had to take the bike back to the state he lived in, register it and ride it to put the miles on it and then take it back to Cal. so his daughter could reregister it. Sounds like you guys in Caliland need to have ABATE or HOG or one of your organizations petition the state for something sensable. Is Cal. the only state with a law like this?

another option is order a new speedo from your dealer because they have to have the mileage programmed in when they order it from the motor company, so you could just order a new one when they ask how many miles you have on it say 7500, and your bran new speedo will come from the factory and now your bikes "california compliant"

Bluehound, NO offense intended here.......but you have owned the bike 3 years? You live in California? What's the hold up on the miles man?

Wildspirit, I think he lived in Colorado before Cali and is moving to Cali?? I know it would be hard for me to get 4500 miles with my current schedule.

Does the Cal. DMV actually look at the odometer? In GA, we just tell them the mileage
and sign that we are not lying.

Does the Cal. DMV actually look at the odometer? In GA, we just tell them the mileage
and sign that we are not lying.

Thats what I was thinking.One could even apply for a lost title in Colorado and simply say it had 7500 miles on it.Very easy to get if still registered there.

Back