free website stats program Need to add miles to my odometer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need to add miles to my odometer

See if you can find a speedometer from a salvage yard or perhaps someone here has one that you can install. I replaced mine with one that has the built in tach. The original has less miles than yours or I would send it to you.

There must be a solution laying around someone's garage.......

I don't know if the same applies to your 2006 but the speed sensor on my 2009 is a hall effect switch that uses a 5v reference. If you have a friend into electronics, see if he has a signal generator. If you were to substitute a 0-5v square wave reference signal (50% duty cycle) in place of the speed sensor, you would be able to turn the ignition to run, with engine off, and dial in the speed you wanted from the frequency control on the signal generator. I see no reason why it would not work like a champ. But even running the generator at the equivalent of 120 MPH, it would take a long time to do it. You also would have to keep the battery on the bike charged using an external charger because the engine would be off at this time but I am sure it all would work.

Have the lic. dept put that in writing. Leave it reg. in Co. ride it like there is no tommarow. If you get pulled over tell the cop you are just doing what the lic. dept said you had to before you can title it in Ca.

See if you can find a speedometer from a salvage yard or perhaps someone here has one that you can install. I replaced mine with one that has the built in tach. The original has less miles than yours or I would send it to you.

There must be a solution laying around someone's garage.......

This sounds like the best solution. The speedo is easy to remove. Just find a friend who is willing to exchange for a few hours so you can get it registered.

Another thought is to replace your with the H-D speedo / tach combo. When you buy from the on-line dealers they will ask what mileage you want on the new one.

Last edited:
thats what i want to know

It's a CA law for "new" vehicles & their smog/emission stds - here's their quote: "California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle."

Bluehound: Did you meet any of their exceptions (divorce/inheritance, stolen replacement, replace destroyed, or AD military reg)? Also, double-check to ensure the bike doesn't already meet CA emissions. Otherwise, you might want to take that "dream ride" vacation early.

Gents - thanks for such quick feedback. Apparently, this is the way CA keeps people from buying non-CA compliant bikes and bringing them into CA. That's it. The fact that I have had the bike for 3 years doesn't count.

This sounds like the best solution. The speedo is easy to remove. Just find a friend who is willing to exchange for a few hours so you can get it registered.

Another thought is to replace your with the H-D speedo / tach combo. When you buy from the on-line dealers they will ask what mileage you want on the new one.

Thanks guys - found one on Ebay for $120. This sounds like the best solution. Thanks for everyone's help!

Back