free website stats program Need suggestions!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Need suggestions!!

hsoj10

I have a 2006 Electra Glide standard. So all the engine covers are all poliched aluminum instead of chrome. What is the best way to polish the covers and get them looking new again? Tried semichrome doesn't seem to do the job very well.

have ya tried Mother's polish??? Once you get them polished up and clean,try using some Pledge on a microfiber towel to keep them looking good.

The only thing I have tried is Semichrome. It doesnt not work as well as I would like. I will try the Mothers.

Now remember this particular product is a POLISH not a CLEANER. Before you polish ( make em all shiny & purty!! LOL ) what product(s) are/have you used to get the road grime and bugs off ???? You dont want to try to polish anything up BEFORE you get the "black ribbon goodies" off the chrome. SCRATCHES aint no good!!!

You'll find that most of the polished aluminum covers on the later year Harleys have a clear coating on them that has to be removed first before any of the polishing can start.

Now remember this particular product is a POLISH not a CLEANER. Before you polish ( make em all shiny & purty!! LOL ) what product(s) are/have you used to get the road grime and bugs off ???? You dont want to try to polish anything up BEFORE you get the "black ribbon goodies" off the chrome. SCRATCHES aint no good!!!

Well they are not chrome, they are just polished aluminum. I just scrubbed it all up real well when I washed my bike. I need something to get the build up off of the aluminum. They are dull looking. Not shiny and clean looking like they ought to be.

You'll find that most of the polished aluminum covers on the later year Harleys have a clear coating on them that has to be removed first before any of the polishing can start.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well they are not chrome, they are just polished aluminum. I just scrubbed it all up real well when I washed my bike. I need something to get the build up off of the aluminum. They are dull looking. Not shiny and clean looking like they ought to be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How is the clear coat removed? Im sorry I am new to this. I am used to having chrome and just being able to polish. I figured there was a good cleaning product out there that would remove the haze from the covers. If not, what are the steps I need to take to remove the clear coat?

Back