free website stats program Need some ideas from Indiana and Michigan riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some ideas from Indiana and Michigan riders

mhonn2002

I am planning a trip from Texas to Northern Michigan( UP). One of my stops will be in Kentland. After visiting my parents graves I will be heading north and would like to know what roads you all would suggest taking that will keep me out of the traffic and off the toll roads but still get me into Michigan. I am planning on going across the Mackinaw Bridge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kentland is on the northwest side of Indiana about 70 miles south of Chigago. I think I would prefer going up the west side of Michigan and intercepting I75 just below the bridge.

I would go north to Gary and then get to 31N and follow the lake Michigan shoreline all the way to the bridge. Great ride, gets traffic in some places, but you ride out of it pretty fast. Once you cross the bridge there's not a whole lot up there. Losts of small town and National Forests. Unless you plan on going up to Superior, I would take US 2 West once you're over the bridge. You can follow that into Wisconsin and take that south along their side of Lake Michigan. You can stop in Milwuakee and check out the Harley Museum.
Keep going south from there. Someone on this site from Wisconsin could probably point out some other things to do and how to get around Chicago.

You can take HWY 94 to HWY 196 then pick up HWY 31 when you get to Holland , MI that will take you all the way to the Mackinaw bridge . Taking the HWY 31 there are alot of places to camp for the night if that is what you like to do & there are some real nice routes that come off HWY 31 like picking up HWY 22 around Manistee & going up to Northport , HWY 22 will take you through the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore . Once you cross the bridge you can take HWY 2 west along Lake Michigan or you can treat your self & head up to Lake Superior & check out the U-P . If you do go check out Lake Superior go to Grand Marais & take H58 to Munising ( they just paved H58 in 2009 ) that takes you through the Picture Rocks National Shoreline where there are some great campgrounds and some old lighthouses you can check out . Hope this helps you some & enjoy you trip .

Don't misunderstand me on the UP. It's god's country. Lots of rivers and small lakes. Even a lot of small waterfalls. ( hard to find though.) The roads are very good and traffic is light. If you go North to Superior, you can follow that shoreline west through the Porcupine Mountians and then South to Wisconsin and Milwaukee.

If you come up through Southern Indiana you are more than welcome to stop by and have a good meal and a nights sleep. Our doors are always welcome to fellow riders. Just let me know when.

PaPa T

I would take 24 east to IN 39 North. You will pass Kerstings Cycle Center-North Judson, Indiana in North Judson, they have a Motorcycle musium that is worth a look. IN 39 N to La porte IN. 30 east to 31 N, to South Bend IN take the by passN into MI to St Joeseph/Benton Harbour, then follow the Blue Star Highway up the east side of lake MI. ( Blue Star is a beutiful ride )

Back