free website stats program Need some help after cam tensioner replacement, PLEASE! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some help after cam tensioner replacement, PLEASE!

So do I understand that the timing was off from the engine to the big cam sprocket?

If so, You will find your compression, ccp a Lot higher.. The 120 was LOW and my thinking was timed wrong... Now with proper cam timing, the compression will be up over 160/170 at least.

When you get around to it, take cylinder pressures again Please and post them here on this thread.

signed....BUBBIE

Live and learn, My Brother!

You will never make that mistake again, and your stories about it to others may prevent them from doing it themselves. It's all good.

TQ

Thanks guys, Bubbie, yeah the inner cam gears were pressed into the plate and timed but when I installed the outter sprockets on the splines and put the outter chain and sprocket on I did not pay attention to aligning the timing marks on the gears and on the plate. I knew the chain sprockets would only go on to the shafts in one position but I for some reason didn't think about the crank timing to the cam timing. I assume that the bike gets it's fire signal from the CKP or the crank positioning sensor so duh obviously the crank has to be timed with the cams. Dang the more I think about it the stupider I sound hahaha.

I knew I wasn't getting firing at the right time but instead of going back and checking the timing of the gears I went off on some wild goose chase trying to find why the thing wasn't firing. Engines 101 is fuel, compression, fire and timing, I just kept leaving the T out. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 3 out of 4 won't work!

Anyway its all good now, I just tried to over complicate things. Jake is happy now, I'm gonna finish putting the exhaust shields, floor boards, etc on him tonight and take him for an around town test. Thanks again for all you guys advise. I will post on the 204 feel after this week end, we goin for a ride in the Ozarks Thursday thru Sunday so I should get a good testing.

We all make mistakes, you had the hind sight to double check your work and solve the problem Great diagnostic skills IMO:s

Back