free website stats program Need some help 1988 FXSTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some help 1988 FXSTC

lowered907

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot and repair a 1988 FXSTC trans that wont move in gears 1-4 but works in 5th?

Re: Diagnosing Transmission Problems

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot and repair a 1988 FXSTC trans that wont move in gears 1-4 but works in 5th?

I would take the top cover off and have a look at the shifter forks for starters

OK so im new at this. I pulled the compensator and primary to change the starter pinion gear. had some trouble getting the clutch adjusted using the manual. the problem seemed to be the ramp on the opposite side of the trans was stuck. I took it out for a shakedown run (about 20 minutes) and it ran great until a 1-2 shift. clutch seems to slip. the engine revs but the bike does not move forward in any gear 1-4. there was no abnormal noise of any kind, motor running or not. I pulled the primary cover and verified the clutch rotates when the engine is running. When I squeeze the handle the clutch hub moves. I pulled the primary all apart again, and noticed the input shaft does not spin in gears 1-4 with any load on the input shaft. however in fifth gear while spinning the tire by hand the input shaft turns as designed.

I merged these posts together in one place and deleted the cross post.

I am not a gearbox expert but I think that 5th gear is on the main shaft and connects directly to the main drive giving a straight through drive
All other gears have gears on the main shaft and on the counter shaft that get locked together when selected
So I think you may have a issue inside the gearbox which will need a wee bit more knowledge of the area than I have

Brian

Back